Manchester Bombing: Police Release Images Of Bomber

Abedi's suicide attack killed 22, many of them young girls, at the end of an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester.

The suitcase was not used in the attack, which was carried out when Abedi detonated an improvised bomb minutes after the concert ended, Greater Manchester Police Detective Chief Superintendent Russ Jackson said.

The latest police findings are the results of painstaking work, Jackson said, with more than 1,000 officers working on the case and helping to track Abedi's movements through security camera footage, his phone calls and his interactions with people.

"We have also have a good understanding of the likely component parts of the bomb and where these came from", said Mr Jackson.

Abedi, a British citizen of Libyan background, was placed on a USA terror watch-list in 2016 after he came to the attention of US intel while investigating a terrorist network in Libya.

Abedi is understood to have returned from Libya in the days before the attack - where his brother Hashem and dad Ramadan have both been arrested in Tripoli.

He stressed the need to find a blue suitcase used by Abedi, seen in CCTV images released by police.

He added: "Did you see Abedi in the Rusholme area between 18 and 22 May?"

Grande announced Tuesday that she and other top stars - including Justin Bieber, Coldplay and Miley Cyrus - will return to the city to perform at a benefit concert on Sunday.

Police have let go a total of five people without charges, including a man and woman released earlier.

Fourteen men are now detained on United Kingdom soil in the investigation, while Abedi´s father and brother have been held in Libya, where officials said the two brothers were IS jihadists.

On Monday, GMP released a photograph of Abedi with a blue suitcase in the days before the May 22 attack on Manchester Arena.

A 23-year-old man was arrested in the southern coastal town of Shoreham-by-Sea, more than 400km from Manchester yesterday over the attack claimed by the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS). 11 now remain in custody.

"Anybody with information about the whereabouts of the case between 18 and 22 May should call the Anti-Terrorist Hotline in confidence on 0800 789 321".

"It will be a long investigation and it will take considerable time before we fully understand what has happened", Jackson said on Wednesday.

Britain's official terror threat level was set at "critical" in the days after the attack but was downgraded Saturday to "severe".

  • Salvatore Jensen