German rock festival set to resume after terrorist threat
- Author: Zachary Reyes Jun 03, 2017,
Jun 03, 2017, 23:38
German authorities allowed a popular rock festival to resume on Saturday after a scare over people with suspected links to Islamic extremism prompted them to curtail its opening night.
Authorities shut down and cleared thousands of fans from the three-day festival on Friday evening, its opening night.
"As safety is paramount, and it is necessary to exclude a threat to festival visitors in any case as far as possible, it was chose to suspend the festival for this day", they said.
The top security official in western Rhineland-Palatinate, Roger Lewentz, planned a news conference at 11 a.m. (0900 GMT) Saturday.
"After intensive searches and sweeps of the complete festival site by the police, the suspicion of a potential terrorist threat has not been confirmed", a statement said. They said searches of the site turned up no suspicious objects.
More than 80,000 revellers were believed to have travelled to the festival at the Nuerburgring, which is best known for its Formula One race track.
The cancellation was announced on the Rock am Ring Facebook page. On Friday, June 2nd, police suspended the show and ordered attendees to evacuate the festival's site.
"Due to a terrorist threat the police have advised us to interrupt the festival".
Following the recent attack in Manchester outside a concert, strict security controls were already in place and authorities had put in place 1,200 police officers.
Fans had been hoping to see German rock giants Rammstein at the Nürburg Arena on Friday when they were asked to leave in a "calm and controlled" way.
'We have to support the police investigations'. "All visitors will be kept informed about any developments on all Rock am Ring social media channels, radio and the speakers". The festival is scheduled to run until Sunday.