Manchester terror attack probe widens as US leaks grate
- Author: Zachary Reyes Jun 01, 2017,
Jun 01, 2017, 12:56
Police said Thursday that a woman arrested in Blackley had been released without charge. Abedi is also said to have visited Frankfurt in 2015.
Prime Minister Theresa May will raise British concerns over leaks of intelligence related the Manchester terror attack with President Donald Trump after United Kingdom authorities stepped up their criticism of U.S. intelligence officials for what they see as a breach of trust.
Staying strong and resilient, the people of Manchester are not letting the terror attack deter them.
Sources said the family are from Cheshire.
- An 18-year-old man, who police said was carrying a suspect package, is arrested in Wigan, a town near Manchester.
Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said the level of activity in the probe is "intense" and continuing "at pace".
Suspected Manchester suicide bomber Salman Abedi had expressed a desire to avenge the killing of a friend in the British city previous year, a source close to his family said on Thursday (May 25).
Mark Rowley, Britain's top counterterrorism police officer, said authorities have dismantled a "large part" of the network around bomber Salman Abedi.
In Libya, the father and brother of the bomber, Salman Abedi, are in detention.
Sky News has found Abedi had links to an Islamic State cell which operated in the city, and knew one of the terror group's most prolific recruiters.
The leaks make matters worse for British authorities who, as a result of the investigation into the bombing, are under pressure to prevent yet another attack they believe is imminent.
Britain held a minute of silence at 11 a.m. Thursday to remember the 22 victims of the attack.
Prime Minister Theresa May returned early from the G-7 summit in Sicily, and will chair a meeting of the government's COBRA emergency committee on Saturday. Details of the benefit concert were not immediately known.