Germany: Some embassy staff hurt in Kabul attack
- Author: Leroy Wright Jun 01, 2017,
Jun 01, 2017, 0:14
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi used Twitter to "strongly condemn the terrorist blast in Kabul". Several died of heart-attack due to the massive impact of the blast, ' a source from Kabul told OneIndia.
A powerful bomb exploded at rush hour this morning in the centre of Kabul, capital of Afghanistan, killing or wounding hundreds of people and sending clouds of black smoke into the sky above the presidential palace and foreign embassies. Both the Taliban and Islamic State have staged large-scale attacks in Kabul.
Ghasemi voiced hope that political initiatives and talks between Afghan groups without intervention from certain regional and trans-regional countries accused of arming terrorists will raise a wall against such violent, inhumane acts that have targeted peace and stability in Afghanistan. The Taliban issued a statement later yesterday, denying any involvement and condemning all attacks against civilians. Two Japanese nationals were also harmed in the bombing, and the nearby Turkish and Chinese embassies also sustained damage. The province surrounding the capital had the highest number of casualties in the first three months of 2017 due to multiple attacks in the city, with civilians bearing the brunt of the violence.
Germany's Minister for Foreign Affairs Sigmar Gabriel condemned the attack, and confirmed that an Afghan security officer who was protecting the embassy was killed in the blast.
Afghanistan's Health Ministry told CBS News that the blast left more than 80 dead and 350 wounded, and that most of the casualties were civilians, including women and children.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack yet.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
"This is a devastating loss to the BBC and Mohammed Nazir's friends and family".
Since most global troops withdrew at the end of 2014, the Taliban have gained ground and now control or contest about 40 per cent of the country, according to US estimates, though President Ashraf Ghani's government holds all provincial centres.
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani condemned "this inhuman and cowardly attack".
Last month, the Taliban announced the start of a major spring offensive, saying their main focus would be foreign forces, targeting them with a mix of conventional, guerrilla, insider and suicide attacks.
Foreign troops have arrived at the scene.
In April, a Taliban attack on an Afghan army base killed at least 140 soldiers.