WH communications director Michael Dubke resigns
- Author: Leroy Wright May 31, 2017,
May 31, 2017, 3:53
Over the weekend, White House National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn - who was the second-in-command at Goldman Sachs before joining the White House - declared the president's economic development deal with Saudi Arabia to be unlike anything he had seen in his 30 years in business.
Bossie told "Fox & Friends" that the Trump administration has reached out to him but hasn't offered him a job yet.
Axios reported that he offered to stay until end of the president's first overseas trip as US leader.
Dubke is still going to work, and his last day has not yet been set.
The termination comes as the role of President Trump's senior adviser and son-in-law Jared Kushner is also under Federal Bureau of Investigation scrutiny for his alleged establishment of a back-channel of communications with the Kremlin during the transition.
He was previously a Republican strategist who founded Crossroads Media and had long ties to party establishment figures, including strategist Karl Rove. The communications director oversees the White House messaging and promotes its agenda.
White House chief of staff Reince Priebus said in a statement Monday, "Mike tendered his resignation just before the president's historic worldwide trip and offered to remain on board until a transition is concluded". Reports have circulated that Trump may bring in trusted former aides, including his original campaign manager Corey Lewandowski and former deputy campaign manager David Bossie, as the White House struggles to keep focused on its policy agenda while dealing with FBI and congressional investigations into possible Trump campaign ties to Russian Federation.
Jason Miller, the Trump campaign's senior communications adviser, was slated to serve as communications director in the White House, but he stepped aside a few weeks before Inauguration Day, saying he wanted to spend more time with his family.
White House chief of staff Reince Priebus thanked Dubke in a statement and said Dubke had "offered to remain onboard until a transition is concluded". He's not a Trump loyalist and did not work for the campaign.
But people leave "on their own volition", Conway said, as "they find working 18 hour days in different environments are maybe what's not best suited for them". The official was not authorized to publicly discuss private thinking and spoke on the condition of anonymity.
The disclosure of the back channel has put the White House on the defensive.