Two more arrests over Manchester attack: British police

Tributes for the people who died in Monday's bomb attack fill a street in Manchester. Meanwhile, officials probed possible travel by the alleged bomber, looking for clues to new threats.

Britain's terror threat assessment has been hiked to "critical", the highest level, meaning an attack is considered imminent.

Sky News said the two Islamists worshipped at Didsbury Mosque in the leafy Manchester suburbs, where trustees on Wednesday decried the "horrific atrocity" at the arena and denied any links to extremism. The terror group claimed responsibility for the attack. It also said he passed through Duesseldorf airport four days before the concert attack.

On his first official trip to Britain as US secretary of state, Rex Tillerson said "all across America, hearts are broken" by the attack.

The BBC said British officials were "outraged" by the publication of images of evidence recovered after Monday night's attack.

Police in Libya have also detained the father and brother of 22-year-old bomber Salman Abedi.

"He was glorifying terrorism", Shafiq told The Associated Press. Nine men remain in custody for questioning, police said.

Born and raised in Manchester, Abedi attended the Burnage Academy for Boys, a school with a large proportion of ethnic minority students, from 2009 to 2011. He said he did not know the outcome of that call. Abedi's brother and father were arrested by a militia in that country after the bombing, the militia said. He has denied being part of the group.

"We are furious. This is completely unacceptable", a government ministry source said of the images "leaked from inside the USA system". "We recite Qur'an, but not that". According to TV news reports, Abedi worked as a "pawn" for a bigger terrorist network.

"I was very annoyed with him", Norris said, adding that worshippers at his mosque were forbidden to engage in conversations or preaching about politics.

US President Donald Trump has threatened to prosecute those responsible for the "deeply troubling" security breach.

Eight other men are in custody in connection with Monday's blast, with police and security agencies working to prevent further attacks. Buildings across Manchester and northwest England were raided.

"There was a policeman, armed policeman, shouting", neighbour Omar Alfa Khuri said. People lifted their hands in the air during a moment of silence.

Most of the victims have now been named. The youngest known of those killed was just 8.

Soon after, Queen Elizabeth II arrived at Royal Manchester Children's Hospital to visit the children injured in the attack and the staff at the hospital.

Michael reported from Cairo and Katz reported from London.

  • Leroy Wright