Manchester bombing probe widens with arrest of man in West Sussex

Nearly three months before a 22-year-old suicide bomber blew himself up at Ariana Grande's concert in Manchester Arena in the United Kingdom, the Federal Bureau of Investigation had warned its British counterpart, MI5, that Salman Abedi was planning a terror attack in the country.

The 23-year-old man was arrested in Shoreham-by-Sea, Sussex, "on suspicion on offences contrary to the terrorism act", Greater Manchester Police said on Twitter.

Another man has been arrested in connection with the Manchester bombing on Monday, according to police, bringing the total number of men held in custody following the attack to 14.

Two men aged 20 and 22 were also detained after a raid in the Cheetham Hill area of Manchester on Saturday and a bomb disposal unit called during a search in Moss Side.

Asked during an interview on BBC whether some of the group were still at large, Rudd said: "Potentially".

A total of 16 arrests have been made so far across the United Kingdom since the explosion with Abedi's terror network being frantically tracked down by police.

Security was tight as 40,000 runners pounded Manchester's streets in the annual half marathon (21.1 km/13.1 miles) a day after Prime Minister Theresa May lowered the terror threat level, which was hiked following a terror attack that targeted children at a pop concert to its highest possible lebel.

The bombing was the latest in a series of ISIS-claimed attacks in Europe that have coincided with a US-led offensive against the terror group in Syria and Iraq by countries including Britain.

"The operation is still really at full-tilt in a way and so until the operation is complete we can't be entirely sure that it's closed".

Earlier on Sunday, Home Secretary Amber Rudd said investigators can not be entirely sure that Salman Abedi's terror network has been dismantled - and warned other members of the bomber's group are "potentially" still at large.

British officials confirmed that Abedi recently returned from Libya on May 18, and that police were seeking more information about his movements upon his return.

On Sunday Home Secretary Amber Rudd said she would "not rush to conclusions" that agents "somehow missed something".

Images published by The New York Times showed the remnants of the explosive device, detonator and backpack used by Salman Abedi in his attack at the exit of the Manchester Arena, northern England.

  • Larry Hoffman