Ariana Grande Releases Statement About Manchester Attack: 'We Won't Let Hate Win'
- Author: Zachary Reyes May 30, 2017,
May 30, 2017, 14:09
British Home Secretary Amber Rudd said Abedi "likely" did not act alone in the strike at the close of an Ariana Grande concert Monday night and that he had been known to security forces "up to a point".
Asked if the USA authorities had compromised the investigation, she said: "I wouldn't go that far".
In London, police and security are being boosted, the Metropolitan Police Service announced Wednesday. One of them was an off-duty police officer, according to Hopkins. The traditional ceremony is a major tourist attraction in London.
A "follow-on" attack is possible, the official said.
And, authorities are now examining a potential connection between Abedi and Mohamed Abrini, believed to be one of the key plotters behind the 2015 Bataclan concert hall attack in Paris, as well as a dual suicide bombing that rocked a train station and the main worldwide airport in Brussels in March of that year.
"We are sure our fans will understand this decision", the team said, adding that the parade would have diverted police from the bombing investigation.
In Manchester, police continued to raid houses and flats across the city on Thursday in pursuit of a network linked to suicide bomber Salman Abedi. Neighbors recalled him as tall, thin and quiet, and said he often wore traditional Islamic dress.
Seven additional arrests were made in Britain on Wednesday as the sprawling investigation extended to Libya, where Abedi's father and 18-year-old brother were detained in Tripoli.
Omar Alfa Khuri, who lives across the street, said he was awakened at 2:30 a.m.by a loud noise and saw police take away the father of the family that lives there in handcuffs. And as I've said, continues at pace.
"In some of my conversations that I've had with people who are following this very closely, the feeling is that they were aware of the bomber, but they didn't think that he had the ability to pull off something like this, something of such sophistication and something so effective and deadly."
The seventh arrest came "at an address in Nuneaton, Warwickshire", Greater Manchester Police tweeted.
France's interior minister said Wednesday that Abedi is believed to have traveled to Syria and had "proven" links to ISIS. He was deposed and killed in 2011. British officials, however, have not commented on whether Abedi had links to IS or other extremist groups.
A second brother, Ismail Abedi, 23, was taken into custody in Manchester a day earlier.
British Prime Minister Theresa May says progress is being made in the Manchester bombing investigation but the national threat level remains critical - meaning another attack may be imminent.
Here is a list of the intelligence information that got leaked to the USA media.
Mr Burnham told the BBC: 'It's not acceptable to me that here there is a live investigation taking place and we can not have information being put in the public domain that's not in the direct control of British police and security service.
"I have been very clear with our friends that that should not happen again", she said. Besides the dead, the number of people who sought medical help after the attack was raised to 119. It was unclear whether she also is suspected of a connection to Abedi, who grew up in Manchester, or to Abrini, who is believed to have visited the English city in 2015. As of Wednesday morning, police say, they have identified all of the fatalities and contacted all of the families involved.