Police makes progress in Manchester attack investigations

Greater Manchester mayor Andy Burnham has said police cuts must be halted following the attack - and claimed the public would be willing to pay more to boost officer numbers.

Investigators also gave details of the 22-year-old's last hours as they appealed to the public for any information about his movements in the days running up to Monday night's attack.

"The arrest is connected to Monday's attack on the Manchester Arena, but this is a fast moving investigation and we are keeping an open mind at this stage", police said in a statement. But she urged Britons to remain vigilant and said soldiers would remain at high-profile sites throughout the holiday weekend.

Corbyn, a veteran anti-war campaigner, said foreign policy was not exclusively to blame for terrorism but he would deploy troops overseas only "when there is a clear need", distancing himself from the interventionist approach that has seen Britain join the United States and other allies in military action in Iraq, Syria, Libya and Afghanistan in recent years.

While the USA star said on Friday that she vowed to return within a year to the afflicted city, TMZ website is now quoting sources as saying she could be back on stage as soon as Sunday 4 June, less than a fortnight after the attack that killed 22 people. Until it was raised Tuesday, it had stayed at severe since mid-2014.

British police said they arrested two more people during raids today in connection with the suicide bombing at a Manchester concert, with a "large part" of the network behind the attack now being held.

"We can't directly link these to the events of Monday night and are continuing to monitor the situation", he said.

The statement from Greater Manchester Police and United Kingdom counter-terrorism police said they had a 1,000-strong team working "around the clock" on the probe.

"There is still much more to do".

Most of the arrests have been within or around the northern England city.

A 16-year-old boy arrested in Withington on Thursday and a 34-year-old woman arrested In Blackley on Wednesday have been released without charge.

Officers used a controlled explosion to gain entry to the address in the north of the city where the latest arrests were made. Photos showed an army bomb-disposal unit at the property.

Another place searched was an apartment in a Manchester high-rise that British media say was rented by Abedi in the months before the attack. "We thought he must have been a drug dealer or doing witchcraft".

The 22 people killed in Manchester on Monday night will be remembered in the London stadium Saturday before Arsenal and Chelsea contest the soccer showpiece.

He says police want the approach to be "unpredictable" and to make London "as hostile an environment as possible to terrorists".

A huge bank holiday weekend security operation is under way as tens of thousands of people attend major spectacles including the FA Cup Final at Wembley and the Premiership Rugby Final at Twickenham. Prince William will lead the tributes, laying a wreath alongside Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham on the field before the kickoff.

Ariana also called for her fans not to let the terrorists win and she praised the city of Manchester and her fans for how they have reacted to the tragedy. "But I grew up in Ireland, so bombs did go off there and life does go on".

He said bed clothes for more than one person were in the flat, and when the rental had been agreed, a younger man had been with Abedi.

Theatregoers earlier tweeted that a matinee performance of "Woyzeck" - starring "Star Wars" actor John Boyega - was halted by theatre staff and audience and cast were told to leave. Police searched the building and found nothing suspicious.

All 22 of those killed in the bomb attack at the Manchester Arena concert have now been named.

Grande posted a letter Friday on Twitter saying she would return to Manchester to perform a concert to raise money for the victims of the bombing and their families.

  • Zachary Reyes