Further arrest made by police investigating Manchester atrocity
- Author: Leroy Wright May 29, 2017,
May 29, 2017, 18:34
Britain's official terror threat level was set at "critical" in the days after the attack but was downgraded Saturday to "severe".
British Home Secretary Amber Russ said there was still a chance that some attack accomplices were still at liberty.
Police have been working round-the-clock since Abedi killed 22 people, seven of them children, and injured more than 100 in the worst terrorist atrocity since the July 7 bombings in 2005.
The bombing was the latest in a series of IS-claimed attacks in Europe that have coincided with a US-led offensive against the jihadist group in Syria and Iraq.
"Potentially", she said, when asked if some of the network members might be at large.
In total, 16 people have so far been arrested in connection with the investigation, two of which have been released without charge.
"Until the operation is complete, we can't be entirely sure that it is closed", she said.
"This is an ongoing investigation so I'm not going to be drawn into comments on the actual man who committed this crime", Rudd told BBC television, declining to say what was known about Abedi and when.
When asked how many potential militants the government was concerned about, Rudd said Britain's security services were tracking 500 different potential plots, involving 3,000 people as a "top list", with a further 20,000 beneath that.
"I believe we can get them to be more successful in working with us to find a way of getting some of that information", she said.
The terror threat level now indicates that an attack remains highly likely rather than imminent.
At least 17 raids have been carried out across the country since Monday's attack, according to Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley, Britain's senior police officer for counterterrorism.
Authorities are now handling 500 terror-related investigations into 3,000 individuals, with another 20,000 people on the radar posing a "residual risk".
Rudd also said that the British government was making "good progression" with online companies whose tools are used for secure messaging by terrorists such as Whatsapp. Her family issued a statement saying: "Words cannot express how we feel at losing our darling Eilidh".
"I'll be returning to the incredibly fearless city of Manchester to spend time with my fans and to have a benefit concert in honour and raise money for the victims and their families", she said.
British officials have confirmed he had recently returned from Libya and the officers said that police needed information about his movements since his return to Britain on May 18.
Authorities are appealing for more information about his final days.
"I wish I could say that Georgina is one of the last to die in this way, but unless our government opens its eyes we know we are only another in a long line of parents on a list that continues to grow", the family said in a statement released through Greater Manchester Police. Police were also searching another address in the south of Manchester.