United Kingdom police have stopped sharing information with U.S. after Manchester leaks
- Author: Salvatore Jensen May 28, 2017,
May 28, 2017, 11:37
However, British authorities were left "furious" by repeated leaks of material shared with their US counterparts, which provides an awkward backdrop for Prime Minister Theresa May's meeting with US President Donald Trump at the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation summit in Brussels later Thursday.
More victims of the attack at the Ariande Grande concert were named on Thursday, including off-duty Cheshire police officer Elaine McIver.
Over the past three, days several key details of the investigation, including the name of the bomber, first came out in US media, angering British police who feared such leaks risked compromising their investigation.
Manchester's mayor Andy Burnham criticised the USA leaks, tweeting that he had complained to the acting United States ambassador and "was assured they would stop". The British Prime Minister, Theresa May, is travelling to Brussels to attend the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation summit.
Her management said in a statement: "Due to the tragic events in Manchester, the Dangerous Woman tour with Ariana Grande has been suspended until we can further assess the situation and pay our proper respects to those lost".
Two Labour lawmakers tweeted their concern Wednesday.
President Donald Trump on Thursday described U.S. intelligence leaks over the Manchester bombing as "deeply troubling" and threatened to prosecute those responsible. Investigative efforts and photos of key evidence have popped up in United States media outlets after having been shared with American intelligence to gain cooperation on counter-intelligence operations.
A photo obtained - obtained by the New York Times from British law enforcement - appears to show evidence from the scene of the explosion.
A candlelit vigil in Manchester
Monday's bombing prompted United Kingdom authorities to deploy soldiers through out the city and raise the terror threat level to "critical", the highest of five levels for worldwide terrorism, and at least two men have been arrested in connection to the attack, the Guardian reported.
"The public should remain vigilant, " Mrs May said, speaking after a meeting of the government's crisis committee.
Three men have since been arrested in south Manchester, in addition to a 23-year-old man already being questioned by police.
At least 22 people were killed and dozens others wounded when a suicide bomber blew himself up at the end of a concert by USA singer Ariana Grande outside the Manchester Arena.
It has also emerged two people who had known Abedi at college made separate calls to a hotline to warn the police about his extremist views.
British news website The Independent also reported bomb-making materials which could be primed for imminent attacks had been found in the raids following the Manchester bombing.
A national minute's silence was to be observed at 11:00am for those killed and the dozens seriously wounded.
Mohammed Shafiq told the ABC's 7.30 a number of locals had reported Abedi to authorities in recent years. They described their daughter as "vivacious and full of fun".
Some bands - including Blondie and Take That - canceled shows after the blast but representatives for several music acts - including Celine Dion, Shawn Mendes, Guns N' Roses and Phil Collins - said they will honor their European dates this summer.