UK: Manchester Police Arrest Another Suspect in Bomb Probe, Total 12
- Author: Carolyn Briggs May 28, 2017,
May 28, 2017, 21:26
The straps of a knapsack are visible on his shoulders.
The decision to lower the threat rating from its highest level was made by the country's Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre in light of the arrests made in the Manchester attack investigation, May said.
"Even with all the progress made so far, there still remain important lines of enquiry that will further build our confidence and understanding of the events that led to this ghastly attack", Assistant Commissioner Rowley said.
Hundreds of soldiers have been replaced police at high-profile sites including Buckingham Palace and Parliament.
The United Kingdom has reduced its terror threat level from critical to severe; a change that indicates a terror attack is still highly likely, but not imminently expected.
"Investigators believe 22-year-old Manchester-born suicide bomber Abedi/107618" target=_blank Salman Abedi, from a family of Libyan origin, acted as part of a terrorist network and their focus had been on intercepting his wider network.
Libya said it was working closely with Britain to identify possible "terrorist networks" involved, while a British official said that Abedi had been on the intelligence radar before the massacre.
Greater Manchester Police said 12 locations had been searched and thousands of items examined.
The men, aged 20 and 22, have been held on suspicion of terror offences after officers used an explosive device to gain entry to a home in Cheetham Hill this morning, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said. Two other people were taken into custody and then released. In addition, Abedi's father and younger brother were detained in Libya.
The images released on Saturday night show Abedi wearing a baseball hat and a dark jacket during the concert by American pop singer Ariana Grande, Xinhua news agency reported.
Other members of Manchester bomber Salman Abedi's terror network could still be at large, the Home Secretary has said. Photos showed an army bomb-disposal unit at the property.
British officials have confirmed he had recently returned from Libya and the officers said police needed information about his movements from May 18 when he returned to Britain.
"There can never, ever, be an excuse for terrorism", she said, adding "the choice people face at the general election has become starker".
A huge security operation is planned with 1,100 armed officers on hand to protect major spectacles around the country, including the FA Cup Final at Wembley and the Great Manchester Run.
Before kickoff, Prince William laid a wreath in memory of the victims alongside Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham.
Following a minute's silence in the city's St Ann's Square on Thursday, crowds broke into a spontaneous rendition of "Don't Look Back in Anger" by the city's own Britpop band Oasis. "But I grew up in Ireland, so bombs did go off there and life does go on".
Tillerson said during a trip to London on Friday that the US "regrets" the leaks, which British officials complained had led to the publication of sensitive information.
Grande tweeted a statement that says "I'll be returning to the incredibly fearless city of Manchester to spend time with my fans and to have a benefit concert in honour of and to raise money for the victims and their families".
"Until the operation is complete, we can't be entirely sure that it is closed".