Pirates5 hack threat was hoax, says Disney
- Author: Salvatore Jensen May 28, 2017,
May 28, 2017, 12:17
While it appears this threat was a false alarm, it seems no movie or TV studio is completely safe from hackers these days. This figure sit's below Disney and independent trackers' predictions for the film.
Disney boss Iger has now told Yahoo Finance that Disney ultimately found no credible evidence that the film had actually ever been stolen. "We made a decision to take (the threat) seriously but not react in the manner in which the person who was threatening us had required".
"We don't believe that it was real and nothing has happened", he said.
Previous reports suggested that the hacking group had stolen the film and asked for large sum of money or else they would slowly leak the movie online.
Box office numbers prove Disney knew what it was doing when the studio chose to make the fifth installment of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchise. Bob Iger didn't name the film, but it was thought to be Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales.
Just last month, a hacking group uploaded nearly the entire upcoming fifth season of Netflix's "Orange Is the New Black" after the company refused to pay a ransom.
In March it was revealed that McCartney would be making a cameo appearance in the sequel.
"Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales" is now available in cinemas.