Manchester Police Will Not Share Attack Updates With US Following Leaks

They said the investigation was not slowing, with some 1000 officers involved, and the priority was to determine if more people were involved in planning the attack.

CCTV footage shows Salman Abedi, 22, shortly before his suicide attack on an Ariana Grande concert at Manchester arena on Monday night.

The latest arrests took place in the early hours of Saturday morning during a raid in Cheetham Hill, a multicultural area of north Manchester. So far, eight men remain in custody whereas a man and a woman were earlier released without charge, Greater Manchester police said.

Two unarmed police officers remained on guard outside the entrance to Granby House, believed to contain the flat in question, according to an AFP correspondent at the scene.

Ariana Grade took to social media this afternoon to address the victims of the bombing at her concert in Manchester on May 22.

Greater Manchester Police now believe Abedi's apartment in central Manchester is a "highly relevant" location in the investigation, and that the bomb may have been assembled there, the statement said.

"In the past five days we have gathered significant information about Abedi, his associates, his finances, the places he had been, how the device was built and the wider conspiracy".

Abedi was known to United Kingdom security services, but his risk to the public remained "subject to review", according to reports.

Abedi's father, Ramadan, and younger brother Hashim, were arrested by anti-terror police in Tripoli, Libya, on Thursday. "He was shocked and panicked when he saw the news", said Mohammed El-Haduri, the manager of St Helens Pizza.

The Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC) increased the threat level to "critical" - its highest level - meaning a further terror attack was considered "imminent".

Home Secretary Amber Rudd complained the leaks could cost police "the element of surprise" in their bid to prevent future attacks.

Organisers of BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend music festival in Hull, 160 kilometres east of Manchester, says those attending will have to go through two rounds of searches.

But while there is progress, there's also outrage over intelligence leaks, possibly from the United States, that officials say could compromise their investigation.

British police have stopped sharing information on the suicide bombing in Manchester with the United States, the BBC reported on Thursday, because of fears that leaks in the USA media could hinder a hunt for a possible bomb-maker still at large.

Earlier, the top U.S. diplomat in the UK, Lewis Lukens, condemned the leaks and "reprehensible" and pledged to take action against those responsible.

Meanwhile, the national-level campaigning for the June 8 general election resumed today after local level campaigns restarted yesterday, following suspension in the wake of the attack.

  • Salvatore Jensen