Manchester police release images of bomber moments before arena blast
- Author: Salvatore Jensen May 28, 2017,
May 28, 2017, 14:59
Britain's terror threat level has been reduced to "severe" from "critical" which was issued following the Manchester arena terror attack, UK Prime Minister Theresa May said after meeting with security chiefs.
The terrorism threat level remains at critical and armed officers have been seen patrolling public transport and beaches in some parts of the country.
But the deployment of soldiers on the streets in support of police will be phased out starting May 29, she added.
Some hours later, police cordoned off a large area in the Moss Side area of south Manchester and houses were evacuated with a bomb disposal unit sent to the scene. One witness reported seeing a bomb-disposal van parked at an intersection. Detectives are now questioning 11 men over the attack by Salman Abedi at a pop concert in Manchester on Monday. The country is taking the unusual step of arming police for patrols in Manchester, London and other locations this weekend during spring bank holiday, the country's first holiday since the bombing.
"All of this is created to make the policing approach unpredictable and to make London as hostile an environment as possible to terrorists", said Chief Superintendent Jon Williams of London's Metropolitan Police Service.
Investigators have identified the location where they believe the Manchester Arena explosive device was assembled, according to a statement from Greater Manchester Police late Saturday.
British police said they had arrested two men on Saturday, May 27, as they stepped up their efforts to capture a suspected network behind the suicide bomber who killed 22 people in Manchester earlier this week.
However, Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley, the United Kingdom police chief for counter-terrorism, advised people to be vigilant but to "go out as you planned and enjoy yourselves". "We've got our hands around some of the key players".