Manchester attack: Hunt for possible 2nd bomb under way
- Author: Leroy Wright May 28, 2017,
May 28, 2017, 7:52
Police now say that the suspected bomber, 22-year-old Salman Abedi, who died in the attack, was part of a network. Police said Thursday that a woman arrested in Blackley had been released without charge. "On Wednesday evening we have been carrying out searches at an address in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, and arrested a man", the Greater Manchester Police force said in a statement.
Britain's terror threat level continues to be "critical", meaning authorities believe another attack could be imminent, and additional soldiers and armed police officers have been deployed at key sites in London and other cities.
Libyan Special Deterrent Force spokesman Ahmed bin Salem told AP Abedi's mother and brother in Tripoli revealed the phone call when they were questioned.
US channel ABC News reported that police had found a kind of bomb-making workshop in Abedi's home and he had apparently stockpiled enough chemicals to make additional bombs.
Another brother of Abedi and Abedi's father, who both live in Libya, have also been detained.
"We are furious. This is completely unacceptable", the source said.
A spokesperson for the Libyan authorities told BBC: "His brother felt there was something going on there in Manchester and he thought his brother would do something like bombing or attack".
Numerous attack victims have been named, the youngest so far being eight-year-old Saffie Roussos. Police officers and army personnel had rushed to a street in Hulme after a "suspicious package" was discovered there.
The club dedicated their trophy to those killed, while manager Jose Mourinho said they would gladly exchange it if it could bring their lives back.
The Press and Journal reports on the vigil held for two girls from Barra who were caught up in the blast and quotes Dr Rev Lindsay Shluter saying it was a time for the community to come together.
Britain's National Counter Terrorism Policing said the United States leaks undermined trust between the two countries' intelligence and law enforcement agencies.
"I am asking the Department of Justice and other relevant agencies to launch a complete review of this matter, and if appropriate, the culprit should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law".
Earlier on Thursday, at 11am, many across Britain fell silent and bowed their heads for a minute in tribute to the victims caught up in Monday night's concert bombing.
Queen Elizabeth II visited several injured children at the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital on Thursday.