Man dies in supermarket car park shooting
- Author: Leroy Wright May 28, 2017,
May 28, 2017, 21:40
Cops confirmed one man has been shot as the supermarket was evacuated.
A 55-year-old man has died after being shot in front of shoppers in a packed supermarket auto park in broad daylight.
The Police Service of Northern Ireland said a murder investigation had been launched after confirming the death of the 55-year-old man.
Detective Sergeant Keith Wilson appealed for anyone with information on the shooting to come forward.
The shooting happened in front of shoppers outside the Sainsbury's store in Bangor on Sunday afternoon.
Det Sgt Keith Wilson said: "Police are now in attendance at an incident in the Balloo Link area of Bangor".
After he was shot he could be seen lying on his back next to a black SUV type vehicle which had been parked at the edge of the auto park near the main road.
There were other unconfirmed reports that a child had been with the man when he was shot. A police helicopter was also flying above the scene of the shooting.
He said he was told that "a number of paramedics worked on the victim performing CPR for quite some time". "It is believed that one person has sustained gunshot wounds".
"I have heard reports of anything from four to six shots having been fired and I've heard from police reports that a man is injured".
Ulster Unionist North Down MLA Alan Chambers said he arrived at the scene about 10 minutes after the shooting happened.
Northern Ireland Secretary of State James Brokenshire added his condemnation on Twitter.