British Police Stop Sharing Manchester Attack Information With US After Media Leaks
- Author: Leroy Wright May 28, 2017,
May 28, 2017, 0:09
The row came as police pressed a fast-paced investigation into Monday's bombing, which killed 22 people at a music venue packed with children and raised fears a further attack could be imminent. Troops have been deployed to guard key points and eight people have been arrested.
Investigators were also assessing whether Salman Abedi, the suspected bomber in the attack Monday on a pop concert in Manchester, may have been connected to known militants in the northern English city.
One woman arrested by armed police on Wednesday was released a few hours later without charge, leaving 10 men still in custody Thursday, including suspected killer Salman Abedi's father and brother in Libya.
"This is a fast moving investigation and we are keeping an open mind at this stage".
The newspaper's report carried detailed information about the device and how it appears the young Manchester man might have carried out the attack, including preliminary findings by the British authorities that the small detonator switch was found in the bomber's left hand.
Manchester terrorist Salman Abedi called his mother before the attack and asked her to "forgive me", Libyan anti-terror police have said.
A spokesman said the brother was aware of Abedi's attack plan and both belonged to the Islamic State group, which claimed responsibility for the attack.
His friend, also of Libyan descent, died after being stabbed by British youths in Manchester in May 2016, the source said on condition of anonymity.
Manchester and the rest of the United Kingdom held a minute of silence at 11 a.m. (5 a.m. ET) Thursday in remembrance of those who lost their lives or were affected by the attack.
British authorities did not say that the investigation had in fact been compromised by the leaks.
British Prime Minister Theresa May is expected to express her country's concerns about the matter to President Donald Trump at a North Atlantic Treaty Organisation meeting on Thursday in Belgium, according to multiple published reports. The piece said the analysis was based on "evidence photographed and collected at the crime scene and distributed by British authorities".
On Wednesday, photographs purportedly showing bloodstained fragments of Abedi's homemade bomb, including what seemed to be the remains of the device's battery and detonator, appeared in the New York Times, hours after home secretary Amber Rudd asked United States authorities not to leak material. And later: "Whilst at the hospital in Manchester, The Queen spoke to 12-year-old Amy Barlow, from Rawtenstall, and her mum, Kathy". The two leaders spoke Thursday on the sidelines of a North Atlantic Treaty Organisation summit in Brussels.
Police in Manchester, England, chose to stop sharing some intelligence with the USA after details from their ongoing terrorism investigation were apparently leaked to the American press, the city's mayor told CNN.
In a statement issued by the White House, as Trump joined May at a meeting of North Atlantic Treaty Organisation allies, he said: "There is no relationship we cherish more than the special relationship between the United States and the United Kingdom".
Abedi passed through Istanbul on his way to Europe, Turkish security officials told Reuters, but said they had no records of him entering Syria during his travels as had been suggested on Wednesday by the French interior minister.
Irrespective of any operational damage, says the Guardian, diplomatic relations will certainly suffer from this display of "lack of respect for a U.S. ally at an emotional time".
US Congressman Mike McCaul revealed Abedi's bomb was made of triacetone triperoxide, the same explosive used in the 2005 London bombings.
Former Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott became the first major British politician to suggest that it was time to review all of the UK's intelligence sharing with the US.
"Her Majesty meets Evie Mills, aged 14, from Harrogate, her mum, Karen and dad, Craig at the hospital in Manchester", the Royal Family tweeted with a photo.