British police stop sharing Manchester attack info with the U.S. after leaks

Manchester police continued making arrests in the investigation with the number of detentions rising to eight in the wake of the UK's worst terrorist attack since the July 2005 bombings in London.

Meanwhile, Libyan security forces said Wednesday that they had tracked down and arrested Abedi's father, Ramadan, and younger brother, Hashim, in the country's capital Tripoli.

Police have named 22-year-old Salman Abedi as the person suspected of carrying out the suicide attack at Manchester Arena on Monday evening.

British officials have expressed outrage over the USA leaking of classified evidence tied to the recent terror attack in Manchester and United Kingdom police have stopped sharing information on the suicide bombing with the US. It said the database was built around a longstanding U.S.

UK Home Secretary Amber Rudd yesterday described the leaks as "irritating", after details about bomber Salman Abedi, including his name, first appeared in U.S. media, adding that Britain's allies were perfectly clear that it "shouldn't happen again".

Manchester attacker Salman Abedi was flagged to United Kingdom authorities five times about his extremist views before committing the atrocity that killed 22 people on Monday, The Daily Telegraph reported.

Hopkins, the Manchester police chief, said the leaks had "caused much distress for families that are already suffering terribly with their loss".

The leaks make matters worse for British authorities who, as a result of the investigation into the bombing, are under pressure to prevent yet another attack they believe is imminent.

Following May's remarks, Trump offered his reaction and vowed that his administration "will get to the bottom of this" and that "the culprit should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law".

In a statement, the New York Times defended its decision to publish the images, saying they were "neither graphic nor disrespectful of victims". A source at Whitehall said not only will the release of this information upset the families of the victims but there is a risk it will compromise the investigation. Hundreds of soldiers have replaced police protecting high-profile sites including Buckingham Palace and the Houses of Parliament in London.

A minute's silence was observed in honour of the victims at a square in central Manchester and other places across Britain.

"I want to reassure people that the arrests that we have made are significant, and initial searches of premises have revealed items that we believe are very important to the investigation", he told reporters. "Very wicked, to target that sort of thing".

He last visited the flat at around 7pm on Monday, just three hours before he detonated his explosives at the Manchester Arena as people were leaving an Ariana Grande concert.

The teenager credited her father's quick action in picking her up and tying off her wounds to stem the bleeding.

"Compared to other people I'm quite lucky really", she said. "Our priorities are to understand the run-up to this bad event and to understand if more people were involved in planning this attack". A reported 23 people remain in critical condition. Authorities said they had made major progress in unraveling the plot behind the concert bombing but acknowledged there were still gaps in their knowledge.

Authorities chased possible links between Abedi and militants in Manchester, elsewhere in Europe, and in North Africa and the Middle East.

Ian Blair, the former Metropolitan police commissioner during the 2005 London underground bombings on 7/7, said his investigation was also troubled by leaks from U.S. intelligence.

A community worker who knew Abedi had been anxious he was "supporting terrorism" and had expressed the view that "being a suicide bomber was ok", the BBC reported late on Wednesday.

Investigators are also looking into the Abedi family's ties in Libya. The terror group claimed responsibility for the attack.

Manchester is home to one of Britain's largest Libyan communities.

Abedi flew to Manchester via the German city of Dusseldorf, a German police spokesman confirmed Thursday.

"He stood up and started calling the imam - 'You are talking bollocks,"' Ramadan said. "And he gave a good stare, a threatening stare into the imam's eyes". Before these raids could be carried out, Abedi's name was reported by CBS and NBC.

  • Joanne Flowers