British police arrest man linked to Manchester attack
- Author: Leroy Wright May 28, 2017,
May 28, 2017, 22:10
On Saturday, British police released CCTV stills of Abedi, taken right before the Monday night attack which killed 22 people and injured dozens.
She said she would share details of the concert as soon as they are confirmed. "But, as I say, there is still a little bit more to do".
There are still 12 locations being searched and activity will continue throughout the weekend. The police released surveillance-camera images of the bomber on the night of the May attack as they appealed for information about his final days. The straps of a knapsack are visible on his shoulders.
The force said in a statement: "We immediately established full command and control of the incident and within an hour of the attack taking place a specialist counter terrorism control room had been established with a first priority of identifying the attacker".
"Our priorities are to understand the run-up to this awful event and to understand if more people were involved in planning this attack".
On Saturday, Britain lowered its official terrorism threat level from "critical" to "severe" after police said they had dismantled a large part of Abedi's network. "A threat level of "severe" means an attack is highly likely - the country should remain vigilant", May said.
Police say that 1,000 people are working on the investigation, trying to track down Abedi's accomplices and piece together his movements in the days before he detonated a bomb at an Ariana Grande concert.
But Rowley said there were still "gaps in our understanding" of the plot, as investigators probed Abedi's potential links to jihadis in Britain, Europe, Libya and the Middle East. "There will be more arrests and there will be more searches", he said.
A statement issued by the Greater Manchester Police read, "We have made significant progress in this fast moving and complex investigation, working with the national counter terrorism policing network and United Kingdom intelligence partners and securing the arrests of 11 people who remain in custody". All are men, aged between 18 and 44.
Police say they think Abedi assembled his bomb at a rented apartment in central Manchester that was raided by officers Wednesday.
Police on Saturday also evacuated an area around a property in the Moss Side neighborhood of Manchester.
Landlord Aimen Elwafi found the property with children's stickers scribbled out on the walls, a metal rod in the bath, material cut up and the electricity turned off, friend Mohammed El-Hudarey told the BBC. "We thought he must have been a drug dealer or doing witchcraft", Mr El-Hudarey told the broadcaster.
Meanwhile, sporting events and concerts have taken place across the United Kingdom amid heightened security following Monday's atrocity.
There were prayers for the victims at church services across Manchester on Sunday.