105 civilians killed in USA airstrike in Mosul

Before this investigation, the US-led coalition against IS said that at least 352 civilians had been killed in strikes it carried out in Iraq and Syria since 2014.

Civil defense personnel search for bodies in the rubble of a building in the Mosul al Jadidah neighborhood of Mosul.

The March 17 bombing is the largest single instance of civilian deaths confirmed by the coalition in the almost three-year-old campaign against IS and Scrocca said he can't think of another Pentagon investigation into civilian casualties in the IS fight as complex as the one released Thursday.

A Pentagon investigation has found that more than 100 civilians were killed after the U.S.

"Our condolences go out to all those that were affected", Combined Joint Forces Land Component Command - Operation Inherent Resolve head Maj. Brig. Gen Saad Maan, the Interior Ministry's spokesman, said "legal measures will be applied. against wrongdoers". "ISIS knew of the large numbers of civilians sheltered in the structure".

"As long as the conflict in Iraq is still raging, we call on Iraqi and USA -led coalition forces to desist from using explosive weapons with wide-area effects, including artillery and mortars in crowded residential areas, and to take all feasible precautions to avoid civilian casualties".

The bomb dropped on a building in the city of Mosul set off explosive materials that IS militants had already been placed inside, causing the structure to collapse, the Pentagon said in describing the conclusion of a two-month investigation.

The military cites an analysis of the building's debris, which found materials common to Isis-made bombs, but not found in the GBU-38. One of those explosives was nitroglycerin, which investigators say was "likely used by ISIS to sensitize the secondary explosive devices to detonate more easily". The investigation added that the bomb was dropped at the front of the building while structural engineers found that the damage and crater was at the back of the building.

Furthermore, the operation came as Iraqi security forces, backed by the anti-IS worldwide coalition, were simultaneously conducting a major offensive to dislodge the IS from their major stronghold in western Mosul.

Iraqi and USA forces say that more than 90% of the city has now been freed from Isis, with only a pocket in the northwest remaining under the terror group's control.

However, several residents of the Mosul neighborhood told The Associated Press on Friday there were no IS fighters or explosives inside the house struck by the USA bomb.

The precision-guided bomb selected - a GBU-38 carrying 192 pounds of explosives - was rigged to cause only localised damage to the building, but it ignited a large amount of ordnance which, unbeknownst to the coalition, Daesh fighters had previously placed inside.

CentCom included four civilians in a nearby structure in the official death toll. The weather prohibited coalition reconnaissance aircraft from monitoring the scene in the two days prior, according to Isler. "However, there were multiple opportunities" to do so relatively undetected, Isler explained.

It said that analysis concluded that the amount of explosives in the United States bomb, about 200 pounds, was not enough to bring down the building.

And yet there's been no recognition of any wrongdoing in this Mosul airstrike by the US, and no condolence payments have been made to the families of those who died. Investigators also worked with regional and western news outlets and non-government organizations active in the area, he said. The claims have rarely been substantiated during the conflicts in Iraq and Syria.

In March, a single US airstrike in Iraq killed more than 100 civilians.

  • Leroy Wright