United Kingdom sends 1000 soldiers to protect key sites after Manchester bombing

Among the first victims to be named following Monday night's attack at a concert by U.S. pop star Ariana Grande were eight-year-old Saffie Roussos from Leyland and teenagers Olivia Campbell, 15, from Bury and Georgina Callander from Chorley. The Guardian says the identities of nine of the 22 people killed in the attack are now known.

A 23-year-old man was also arrested in the south of the city in connection with the attack.

Authorities carried out further raids Wednesday afternoon in the south Manchester area of Fallowfield, where Salman A. lived, as well as in the city center. It marks the highest threat level in the United Kingdom in more than a decade. Just under 1,000 soldiers have already been deployed, initially in London, then elsewhere.

Officials believe this will free up police to fight the threat of further extremist action against civilian targets, amid fears that another attack may be imminent.

The British parliament, which is usually open to visitors, said it would close to anyone who did not hold a permanent entry pass with immediate effect due to the increased security threat.

The changing of the guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace was canceled Wednesday so police officers can be re-deployed, Britain's defense ministry said.

"We do know that he was known up to a point to the intelligence services", she told Sky News.

He said his other son, Ismail, was arrested in England on Tuesday morning.

A series of crowdfunding campaigns have raised more than £28,000 ($36,000) in support of a homeless man who said he rushed to the aid of people wounded in Monday night's suicide attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester.

Students from Chetham's School of Music gathered to sing an emotional tribute to victims of the terror attack in Manchester.

Poland's foreign minister says that a Polish couple were killed in the concert blast in Manchester.

"We're dealing with injuries to major organs, we're dealing with loss of limbs potentially, we're dealing with embedded objects, all the horrific injuries that you would expect from the event that happened", said Jon Rouse, chief officer of the Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership, who added that the victims were receiving "round-the-clock" treatment.

A total of 59 people were taken to hospital, many with life-threatening conditions.

Rudd also said that attacker Salman A. had recently returned to the United Kingdom from Libya, although she declined to give further details concerning his trip.

Minister Gerard Collomb said Wednesday on BFM television that British and French intelligence have information that Abedi had been to Syria. He did not elaborate but said it's unclear whether Abedi was part of a larger network of attackers.

Rudd also expressed her displeasure at USA officials for leaking information on the perpetrator to the media as the investigation was still unfolding.

Asked whether the US leaks had compromised the investigation, she said: "I wouldn't go that far but I can say that they are perfectly clear about the situation and that it shouldn't happen again".

She said the Americans had not compromised the Manchester investigation and that the Trump administration is "perfectly clear about the situation".

  • Leroy Wright