The Manchester Attacker Likely Did Not Act Alone, British Home Secretary Says
- Author: Salvatore Jensen May 25, 2017,
May 25, 2017, 20:53
"Thanks to everyone who has been in touch", the O2 said on Twitter. "When this operation is over, we will want to look at his background and what happened, how he became radicalised and what support he might have been given", she said.
"He was showing me hate, he hated me basically", Saeed said. British officials, however, have not commented on whether Abedi had links to IS or other extremist groups.
May said a new attack "may be imminent" but the authorities stressed that the soldiers would remain under police command.
The developments came as the probe was hit by further leaks to the USA media, with the New York Times releasing crime scene pictures appearing to show bomb fragments and the hiking backpack used to hide the explosive.
NPR reports the Manchester bombing is the 13th deadly terrorist attack in Western Europe since 2015.
Attacks in cities including Paris, Nice, Brussels, St Petersburg, Berlin and London have shocked Europeans already anxious over security challenges from mass immigration and pockets of domestic Islamic radicalism.
He was named by police and Prime Minister Theresa May the day after the deadly attack, which also left dozens wounded, on the concert by USA pop star Ariana Grande, who has a large teenage girl following.
The attack was the deadliest in Britain since July 7, 2005 when four suicide bombers inspired by Al-Qaeda attacked London's transport system during rush hour, killing 52 people.
The UK government said that in the wake of the attack on Monday evening at the Grande concert at the Manchester Arena, soldiers would be deployed to key sites in Britain to boost security as the country raised its terror threat to the highest level of "critical". An initial deployment of 984 had been ordered, initially in London, then elsewhere.
Soldiers were replacing armed police on Wednesday at sites like Buckingham Palace, 10 Downing Street and Parliament.
A source close to the investigation into the bombing said the focus was on whether Abedi had received help in putting together the bomb and on where it had been done.
The bomb used in the attack appeared to contain carefully packed shrapnel and have a powerful, high velocity charge, according to leaked photographs from the investigation published by the New York Times.
In the statement, the force says the 20-year-old engineering student had been planning to launch an attack of his own in Tripoli, and that after his arrest Tuesday night, Hashim confessed to ties with the Islamic State and knowledge of his brother's planned attack in Manchester. Police said they were assessing a package carried by the man in Wigan. Police also carried out raids in the south Manchester area of Fallowfield where Abedi lived.
Asked if officers are looking for the person who made the bomb, he said: "I think it's very clear that this is a network that we are investigating and as I've said, it continues at pace, this extensive investigation is going on and activity taking place across Greater Manchester as we speak".
He was yet to be formally named by the coroner.
The number of people wounded in the explosion at an Ariana Grande concert in England, increased to 119 on Wednesday, double the number initially reported, Manchester health officials said.