Political parties in United Kingdom to resume campaigning after Manchester Arena attack
- Author: Leroy Wright Мая 25, 2017,
Мая 25, 2017, 5:14
A Tory source said there would be "no local or national campaigning" by the party today following the atrocity in Manchester.
Jeremy Corbyn will resume Labour's general election campaign on Friday with a defiant message that terrorists can not be allowed to "derail" British democracy. "It will not prevent us going about our daily lives or derail our democratic process", Corbyn said in a statement.
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn discussed the issue of when to return to the campaign trail with the prime minister on Wednesday, in the latest of several conversations between the pair since the bombing of Manchester Arena.
"Resuming democratic debate and campaigning is an essential mark of the country's determination to defend our democracy and the unity that the terrorists have sought to attack", he added.
Campaigning in Scotland is also expected to resume slowly from Thursday, but will not reach full pitch until early next week, party officials say.
"But we can not be cowed or allow our way of life to be undermined by those who wish to do us harm".
With polling day barely a fortnight away, it had been hoped that the national campaign would resume either tomorrow or Friday.
"Can I stress that this has nothing to do with myself and the Labour campaign".
The Labour Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for North East Somerset, Westfield Councillor, Robin Moss, has spoken out after residents angrily reported someone campaigning, seemingly on behalf of the party yesterday.
Theresa May's party will resume national campaigning on Friday too.
The ruling Conservatives, Opposition Labour, Liberal Democrats, Green Party and the Scottish National Party said they would resume local-level campaigning tomorrow after a UK-wide minute's silence at 11 AM (local time).
General election campaigning is going to re-start on Friday after a three-day pause in the wake of the Manchester attacks.
As a mark of respect for those killed in the blast, campaigning for the national contest remained suspended on Wednesday.