Manchester attacker's father, younger brother arrested in Tripoli - spokesman
- Author: Julie Sanders May 25, 2017,
May 25, 2017, 19:24
Police believe the 22-year-old Abedi was the man who detonated an explosive device at the exit of the Manchester Arena following the conclusion of an Ariana Grande concert.
British media reports suggested nearly 1,000 troops were being deployed to sensitive sites across the country.
Troops will fan out at sites such as Buckingham Palace, Westminster and foreign embassies in London to free up armed police for anti-terror duties. The traditional ceremony at the palace is a major tourist attraction in London.
United States film producer Patrick Millsaps, whose daughters are aged 12, 12 and 13, has responded to Grande herself who tweeted she was "broken" and "so, so sorry" after the bombing.
Investigators were trying to piece together the last movements of Abedi, a Manchester-born man of Libyan descent whose parents had reportedly fled the now fallen regime of Moamer Kadhafi.
In developments overnight, police carried out a controlled explosion at a property in the Moss Side area of Manchester.
Ramadan, who had not seen Abedi much in recent years, said he had noticed that he had begun to dress "Islamically", in a long robe, and was growing a beard.
French Interior Minister Gerard Collomb said Abedi had "likely" been to Syria after the trip to Libya, citing information provided by British intelligence services to their counterparts in Paris.
British police, meanwhile, arrested four additional suspects on Wednesday and were assessing a package carried by one of the men, detained in Wigan, a town west of Manchester. He did not provide details, and said it's unclear whether Abedi was part of a larger network of attackers.
British officials have not commented on whether Abedi had links to IS or other extremist groups. Rudd said Britain's operational security could be harmed by the leaks, taking "the element of surprise" away from security services and police.
"It's very clear that this is a network that we are investigating". "I was really shocked when I saw the news, I still don't believe it", he said in Tripoli.
When asked on BBC Radio 4 about the USA intelligence leaks, an annoyed-sounding Rudd said: "The British police have been very clear that they want to control flow of information in order to protect operational integrity - the element of surprise - so it is irritating if it is released by other sources, and I have been very clear with our friends that it should not happen again". A total of 59 people were taken to hospital, many with life-threatening conditions.
Officials said all the dead and wounded had been identified but their names would not be made public for several days until autopsies are completed. London Police Commander Jane Connors said the goal was to "make our city as hostile an environment as possible for terrorists to plan and operate".
A former Libyan security official, Abdel Basit Haroun, said Ramadan was a member of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group during the 1990s.