United Kingdom raises threat level to maximum, army deployed after attack

The Manchester attack was the deadliest in Britain since July 2005, when four British Muslim suicide bombers killed 52 people in coordinated attacks on London's transport network.

Also killed was 8-year-old Saffie Roussos, who a teacher called "simply a handsome little girl in every aspect of the word" who was warm, kind, "and unassuming, with a creative flair". "This means that their assessment is not only that an attack remains highly likely, but that a further attack may be imminent". Some have life-threatening injuries.

"This morning I said that the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre, the independent organisation responsible for setting the threat level on the basis of the intelligence available, was keeping the threat level under constant review", she said.

Witnesses described the horror when the bomber blew himself up. These cars just pulled up and all these police with guns, dogs, jumped out of the vehicle and said to us: "'Get in the house now,"' said Simon Turner, 46, who lives nearby.

"It was literally just a minute after it ended, the lights came on and the bomb went off".

A video posted on Twitter showed fans, many of them young, screaming and running from the venue. Dozens of parents frantically searched for their children, posting photos and pleading for information on social media.

Around the world, people expressed their condolences for the victims of the Manchester bomb attack. "In any case, (he had) links with Daesh (Islamic State) that are proven".

"What comes next will be more severe on the worshippers of the cross", the Telegram posting said.

Security services were trying to piece together the last movements of Abedi, a Briton of Libyan descent, amid media reports he had travelled recently to Libya and possibly Syria. Campaigning was suspended as a mark of respect.

U.S. President Donald Trump, on a visit to the West Bank city of Bethlehem, called the perpetrators "evil losers" and said "this wicked ideology must be obliterated".

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said it "will only strengthen our resolve to.work with our British friends against those who plan and carry out such inhumane deeds".

Additionally, AFC Ajax of Amsterdam tweeted "From Amsterdam with love to Manchester". London Mayor Sadiq Khan said more police had been ordered onto the streets of the British capital.

Police raided a house in Elsmore Road in Fallowfield earlier on Tuesday.

Manchester was the latest in a series of deadly incidents across Europe claimed by IS that have coincided with an offensive on the group's redoubts in Syria and Iraq carried out by US, British and other Western forces.

"Prime Minister May also announced that Operation Temperer was now in force, allowing members of the armed forces to be deployed to key civilian sites".

Security would be reviewed also for smaller events.

Troops will fan out at sites such as Buckingham Palace, Westminster and foreign embassies in London to free up armed police for anti-terror duties. The man was shot dead at the scene.

"Words don't really do justice for how we all feel".

  • Salvatore Jensen