Three more men arrested over bombing in Manchester
- Author: Leroy Wright May 24, 2017,
May 24, 2017, 23:05
He later joined Burnham, home secretary Amber Rudd and Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron, along with thousands of others, at a vigil in Manchester's Albert Square to remember the 22 people who were killed, the 59 injured, and the many others caught up in a night of horror.
- The paper leads with the Manchester attack reporting that the city has united against hate and fear as it refuses to bow in the wake of the attack by a suicide bomber that claimed 22 lives.
Prime Minister May said the independent body which sets the threat level had recommended it be raised after a man named by police as Salman Abedi set off an improvised bomb on Monday night in a concert performed by USA pop singer Ariana Grande in Manchester.
The minister said she was "not surprised at all" that the attack had been claimed by the Islamic State group, but said there was no information yet to confirm the extremist organisation's active direction. According to the reports, he allegedly denotated a homemade bomb in the in a public concourse of the Manchester Arena around 10:30 p.m. on Monday. "I'm sending all my love".
Greater Manchester resident John Atkinson, 26, was also confirmed as one of the victims.
"I'm just hearing nothing - her phone's dead", Charlotte Campbell, whose 15-year-old daughter Olivia was at the concert, told BBC radio.
Monday's bombing made Manchester Arena, one of the largest indoor concert venues in Europe, the latest apparent target of Islamic extremists striking at the heart of Western culture, an ideology baffling to the panicked young faces emerging from the concert.
The 23-year-old was photographed embracing her boyfriend - rapper Mac Miller - on the tarmac, before being ushered into a black SUV and driven to her family home in Boca Raton.
"She's not turned up", Campbell said of her daughter.
Ariana broke her silence with a tweet yesterday, saying she was "broken" and "so so sorry" about the incident. "It was one bang and essentially everyone from the other side of the arena where the bang was heard from suddenly came running towards us as they were trying to exit".
In 2015, Pakistani student Abid Naseer was convicted in a US court of conspiring with al Qaeda to blow up the Arndale shopping centre in the centre of Manchester in April 2009. The person said that Grande and her team are more focused on the victims at the moment, not the tour.
Shawn Mendes, who's scheduled to play in Paris on Wednesday, said his show will go on.
The Manchester attack was the deadliest in Britain since July 2005, when four British Muslim suicide bombers killed 52 people in coordinated attacks on London's transport network.
Three of the 22 people killed in the attack have been identified so far.