Ryan rejects Trump's branding of Comey as 'nut job'

However, days later, following Trump's infamous "tapes" tweet aimed at Comey, Ryan told a reporter that he wasn't going to comment on the "tweets of the day".

The New York Times reported Friday that Trump called Comey a "nut job" in his Oval Office meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, one day after he fired him from the Federal Bureau of Investigation. "I like Jim Comey", Ryan said, a far cry from Trump's depiction of Comey as a "grandstander" and a "showboat".

Ryan, who's frequently disagreed with the president, says he works well with Trump and that Trump's best quality is "his energy and his engagement".

The top Republican in the House went on to say that Comey may be the victim of tough choices he was forced to make on the job.

"The President has always emphasized the importance of making deals with Russian Federation as it relates to Syria, Ukraine, defeating ISIS and other key issues for the benefit and safety of the American people", Spicer said in a statement to CNN. "When he sees a goal he wants to achieve, health care is a flawless example, he just focuses on it".

"I'm not sure it was meant that way. I got one with Britney Spears doing this [a thumbs up], Captain Obvious", Ryan said. "We're just different people".

"We have a president who, for the first time in eight years, said, 'Let's actually balance the budget.'".

"I took it as a compliment", he said. He is truly "compassionate" to the top 1 percent, while numerous remaining 99 percent of Americans will go hungry. "It really actually isn't", Ryan said.

  • Zachary Reyes