Manchester Attack Suspect Possibly Trained by Libyan Militants - Home Secretary
- Author: Leroy Wright May 24, 2017,
May 24, 2017, 22:09
He said he knew the man from the neighbourhood and the mosque but "in the last 15 years, I haven't seen him in trouble at all".
British investigators also told French authorities that the suspect in the Manchester bombing had probably travelled to Syria, French Interior Minister Gerard Collomb said.
"Armed police officers responsible for duties such as guarding key sites will be replaced by members of the armed forces".
"I mean this was something that I started work on immediately after the Nice attack when it became obvious that vehicles were likely to be used as an attack by terrorists. this is a constantly evolving, it's a dynamic environment".
According to the BBC, Abedi "was Manchester born and from a family of Libyan origin".
The worst terrorist incident on United Kingdom soil since 2005 comes just two weeks before a general election.
The militant group has repeatedly called for attacks on Western countries as retaliation for their involvement in the conflicts in Syria and Iraq. "Our thoughts are with all those involved, their families and their friends".
The suspected perpetrator of the deadly Manchester attack, which took place on Monday night, might have just returned from Libya, where he could have been trained by militants, UK Home Secretary Amber Rudd said Wednesday.
Witnesses described the horror when the bomber blew himself up. We kept watching and they didn't bring anybody out'. They later said they had arrested a 23-year-old man in connection with the attack but gave no further details.
"She was at the concert, she'd just seen the support act and said she was having an wonderful time and thanking me for letting her go".
"We struggle to comprehend the warped and twisted mind that sees a room packed with young children not as a scene to cherish but as an opportunity for carnage", she said.
Police promised extra measures at showpiece events coming up such as Saturday's FA Cup football final.
Campaigning for the U.K.'s June 8 general election is on hold, with all the U.K.'s parties announcing indefinite suspensions and no activities planned for Wednesday.
May spoke to U.S. President Donald Trump, French President Emmanuel Macron and several other foreign leaders on Tuesday about the attack, her spokesman said.
The schoolgirl, along with eight-year-old Saffie Roussos and teenager Georgina Callander, were among the first of the terrorist's victims to be named.
It revived memories of the November 2015 attack at the Bataclan concert hall in Paris in which armed men wearing explosive belts stormed in and killed 90 people.
Queen Elizabeth released a statement on the incident, noting the nation's shock at the bombing.
Before that, he said, a number of different families had been living at the property.
"Tomorrow evening should be a football feast, but because of events in Manchester, we're all affected, particularly as we're playing against Manchester".
Waszczykowski also said that another Polish citizen was wounded and had undergone surgery in a hospital.