Manchester attack scars Europa League final

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said: "I am deeply saddened by the awful terrorist attack in Manchester last night. Heart goes out to all those who've lost loved ones". Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected.

A help centre was opened at Manchester City's Etihad Stadium for those affected by the blast.

Manchester United (Twitter): We are deeply shocked by last night's bad events at the Manchester Arena.

City's captain Vincent Kompany wrote: "I would like to express my deepest condolences to the families of the victims".

Neil Walker, general manager of the SSE Arena, added: "The senior management team of the Odyssey Trust and SSE Arena, Belfast were shocked and saddened by the awful event in Manchester last night and our thoughts are with those who have lost loved ones and those who were injured in this horrific attack".

"The thoughts and prayers of our ownership, board and everyone at Manchester City are with the people of Manchester and all those affected following the horrifying events of last night's Manchester Arena attack", City wrote in a statement.

Jesse Linegard (Twitter): My thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by last night's attack on this attractive city.

Former England and Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole, while talking to reporters, said that Mourinho had already proved himself for Manchester United, whether that entails for a win in the final Europa League match or not.

PA via AP
PA via AP

"We are sure that, in the circumstances, you will all understand our position on this matter".

United were due to train yesterday at their Carrington practice ground ahead of travelling to Stockholm, where they will play Dutch side Ajax in the Europa League final today.

"The EFL is fully aware of the security issues that football and other sporting events now face and whilst there have been no specific threats in this country, our security advisor will be liaising with Wembley Stadium, the National Counter Terrorism Security Office and the Metropolitan Police to ensure the arrangements in place provide a safe and secure environment for all supporters attending this weekend's play-off matches".

"UEFA has been closely working with local authorities and the Swedish FA (Football Association) for many months and the terrorist risk had been taken into account since the very beginning of the project".

Former England captain Beckham, who made his name as a global superstar at United after coming through the clubs youth system, expressed his condolences via an Instagram message, saying: “Heartbreaking news from Manchester.

A minute's silence will be held before Wednesday's game and a pre-match ceremony has been cut back, while United's players will wear black armbands.

Additional security measures will also be installed in and around the stadium.

Members of the public are invited to sign it until close of business on Friday in a show of support for the victims' families and loved ones.

  • Julie Sanders