Britain Deploys Troops to Prevent Attacks after Manchester Blast

"This means that their assessment is not only that an attack remains highly likely but that a further attack may be imminent", May said in a televised statement from her Downing Street Office after a meeting of the government's crisis response committee.

A further 59 people were injured when Abedi, 22, detonated a homemade device packed with nuts and bolts in the Arena's foyer as thousands of young people left a concert by United States pop star Ariana Grande.

"In the long run, only so much can be done", Joe Reinartz, news editor at concert service Pollstar, told The Post.

"Armed police officers responsible for duties such as guarding key sites will be replaced by members of the armed forces".

Julie Dearing in Houston, Texas, has a boy and girl, a 13-year-old son not at all interested in concerts and an 11-year-old music lover who was, until she learned of the Manchester attack.

"I am sure that we will get more information about him over the next few days and the next few weeks".

The minister said she was "not surprised at all" that the attack had been claimed by the Islamic State group, but said there was no information yet to confirm the extremist organisation's active direction.

The US intelligence official, who has direct knowledge of the investigation, said Abedi, whose family is of Libyan descent, was identified by a bank card found in his pocket at the scene of the explosion. Islamic State has repeatedly called for attacks as retaliation for Western involvement in the conflicts in Syria and Iraq.

Witnesses described the horror when the bomber blew himself up. We have been liaising with Take That and their promoter and they understandably wish to postpone tonight's concert at Echo Arena Liverpool. Police yesterday raided two sites in Manchester and arrested a 23-year-old man in a third location.

Abedi used an improvised explosive device, apparently packed with metal, to massacre concert-goers and end his own life. "I'm really shaken and can't process what happened as so many people were there with children", she said.

Celine Dion also will honor her upcoming dates in Copenhagen, Stockholm, London and Paris, including a June 25 stop at the Manchester Arena, her publicist said.

"So sad to hear the news from Manchester", the Real Madrid superstar wrote on Instagram. As the show ended, the lights in the arena came on and thousands of people, many of them children, filed out of the building.

US President Donald Trump and European leaders issued vows of defiance. They included an eight-year-old girl, two teenage girls and a 28-year-old man.

Some 59 people were taken to hospital, many with life-threatening conditions.

The 18-year-old Tweeted on Sunday that she was "so excited" to see Ariana Grande in concert.

Monday's bombing follows a terror attack near the Houses of Parliament in central London on March 22 that killed five people. It was too soon to determine what effect the Manchester attack would have on insurance premiums.

"There are a lot of people killed, a lot of people injured, a lot of people missing", Shauna Hardy said.

In a city famed globally for its musical traditions and football teams, showbusiness stars and teams expressed their horror at the carnage.

Dr Sam Grogan, the university's Pro-Vice Chancellor Student Experience, said: "All at the University of Salford are shocked and saddened by the events of last night".

  • Carolyn Briggs