United Kingdom terrorism reinsurance fund says to respond fast to Manchester attack
- Author: Leroy Wright May 23, 2017,
May 23, 2017, 18:32
Isis has claimed responsibility for the suicide bomb attack in Manchester which killed 22 people and injured dozens at a British concert by United States singer Ariana Grande on Monday.
May said earlier that police know the attacker's identity but would not yet confirm it publicly, adding: "They now need to know whether he was acting alone or as part of a wider group".
Manchester police later announced the arrest of a 23-year-old man in the south of the city, saying only that it was connected to the investigation into the attack.
A mall in Manchester was evacuated over a suspected bomb scare, but has since been reopened, according to reports.
Emergency response vehicles at the scene of a suspected terrorist attack during a pop concert by USA star Ariana Grande in Manchester, north-west England on 23 May 2017.
The attack happened at Ariana Grande's gig at Manchester Arena on Monday night.
The bombing is the latest in a string of attacks that have hit Europe in recent years, several claimed by the Islamic State group.
One witness, Elena Semino, told the Guardian newspaper she was with her husband waiting for her daughter by the arena's ticket office when the explosion went off.
"It seems that bombs of the British airforce over children of Mosul and Raqqa has just came back to #Manchester", one user named Abdul Haqq said on Twitter, in reference to the Iraqi and Syrian cities held by the militants where a USA -led coalition, of which Britain is a member, is conducting air strikes. Another 59 people were wounded, many with life-threatening injuries.
The incident is Britain's second terror attack in less than two months. "Our thoughts are with the families of the deceased and prayers with the injured", the Prime Minister said. "So many young, beautiful, innocent people living and enjoying their lives murdered by evil losers", U.S. President Donald Trump said during a visit to Bethlehem.
Through a statement released on Tuesday, May 23, President Kenyatta said the country will stand with Prime Minister Theresa May in the fight against extremism.