UN Security Council condemns North Korea's latest missile launch
- Author: Zachary Reyes May 23, 2017,
May 23, 2017, 18:53
North Korea said on Monday it has successfully tested an intermediate-range ballistic missile to confirm the reliability of the late-stage guidance of the nuclear warhead, indicating further advances in the ability to hit USA targets.
Yonhap News reported that South Korea fired about 90 machine gun rounds across the border, and was checking whether the object was a drone. In January 2016, a drone crossed the demarcation line, according to a Defense Ministry white paper released past year.
Kim Hong-kyun, special representative for Korean Peninsula peace and security affairs at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, held separate phone conversations with his U.S. and Japanese counterparts Joseph Yun and Kenji Kanasugi on Sunday evening right after North Korea's missile test, according to the ministry.
The South Korean military did not say if the unidentified object was hit by the warning shots on Tuesday, but it disappeared from military radar. These are probably the only options available to prevent North Korea from developing a nuclear intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM.) And the only option that has any reasonable chance of success is to pursue a deal similar to the 2015 Iran nuclear accord that was called "the worst deal ever" by U.S. President Donald Trump.
In an interview with "Fox News Sunday", U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said the ongoing testing is "disappointing" and "disturbing".
North Korea is believed to have a fleet of more than 1,300 fighter jets, as well as an unspecified number of its own unmanned aerial vehicles, according to a 2015 report to Congress from the US Department of Defense.
"At the same time, we hope all parties can maintain restraint, not be influenced by every single incident, . persist in carrying out Security Council resolutions on North Korea and persevere with the resolution of the issue through peaceful means, dialogue and consultation".
The U.S. Pacific Command (PACOM) said the missile landed in the East Sea and characterized it as a "medium range" ballistic missile.
The council on Monday strongly condemned North Korea's "flagrant and provocative defiance" of United Nations sanctions banning ballistic missile tests and again vowed to impose new sanctions in response to its latest launch.
Another missile has been launched from the North Korea regime-the eighth one this year-as tensions rise in the Korea peninsula.
The Joint Chiefs of Staff here said the Pukguksong-2 missile probably has an intermediate range of 2,000 km, not 2,500-3,000 as previously presumed.
However, Western experts dismissed those claims as exaggerated, saying such advances won't be possible for the North at least until 2030.
Seoul also said the Pukguksong-2 missile used solid fuel, which is harder to produce than liquid fuel, but which is more stable and can be transported in the missile tank to allow for a swift launch. Last week's missile travelled about 700km. That makes them easier to spot and easier to destroy.