Rolf Harris not giving evidence in trial
- Author: Salvatore Jensen May 23, 2017,
May 23, 2017, 14:15
The Australian musician has pleaded not guilty to four counts of indecent assault that allegedly occurred between 1971 and 1983 on girls who were aged between 13 and 16 at the time.
Judge Deborah Taylor told jurors on Thursday: "He [Harris] will no longer be appearing in the court via video link and he will be attending what remains of his trial in person next week".
Rolf Harris' lawyer has admitted that the shamed entertainer asked a young girl if "she liked to be molested on a Saturday morning".
The former Animal Hospital host was released from prison last week and returned home on Friday.
The alleged victim said she did not recall the headline referred to as she was "not really a Daily Star reader" and that although she was aware of people claiming compensation, she was not familiar with the sums involved.
The 87-year old entered the courtroom slowly, accompanied by his niece Jenny and another woman.
He replied: "No, she said from the start she did not want compensation". "I wasn't interested, it was never in my interests", she told the jury.
The woman also refuted suggestions that she had only made the allegations in 2014 of an assault she said took place in 1983 because she was seeking financial compensation.
The jury at Southwark Crown Court had previously been told Harris had already been convicted and sentenced for other offences in 2014.
Speaking of the decision to make an assault allegation, she said, "It is quite a decision to make, to come forward when you haven't been believed by members of your own family and others".
She said Harris' previous conviction had not made it any easier to come forward.
"It's been an terrible experience", she said.
He is expected to follow the rest of proceedings in person.