Man sickened by nacho cheese in botulism outbreak dies
- Author: Joanne Flowers May 23, 2017,
May 23, 2017, 14:05
The San Francisco Coroner confirmed to KTVU that Martin Galindo-Larios, 37, was taken off life support on Thursday. Now, that cheese has tested positive for the botulinum toxin, the California Department of Public Health says.
California authorities say one man is dead in an apparent botulism outbreak stemming from nacho cheese dip sold at a gas station. We immediately retested samples from the relevant lot of cheese, and it remains clear of any contamination.
The cheese sauce was removed from sale on May 5, according to state health officials. "There is no recall of Gehl's nacho cheese product".
Botulism is a rare illness caused by nerve toxins released from bacteria, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
"While there are still unanswered questions about this outbreak, these tragic illnesses are important reminders to be vigilant about food safety", said Karen Smith, director and state public health officer for the department, which is investigating the outbreak. In about 3 to 5 percent of cases, botulism is fatal, even when it's treated with antitoxin. Doctors put her on a ventilator and admitted her to the intensive care unit.
Foodborne botulism is spread through ingesting food that has been contaminated through not been properly processed or stored, according to health officials.
'Served more than a million times a day'Promoted on the Gehl Foods LLC website as being "served more than a million times a day", Gehl's brand cheese sauce is available in a variety of packaging styles for foodservice and other customers. "Our secret is an advanced "aseptic" process that locks in freshness without refrigeration".