Man arrested after Manchester terror attack at Ariana Grande concert

British Prime Minister Theresa May said the incident was being treated as a terrorist attack.

Police cars, bomb-disposal units and 60 ambulances raced to the scene as the scale of the carnage became clear.

Police chief Ian Hopkins had said earlier that a sole attacker had set off an "improvised explosive device" and died in the process.

James Corden offered a heartfelt homage to Manchester after last night's attack at an Ariana Grande concert.

"Tonight, our hearts are broken".

James said that as he ushered his little brother out, "I had my hand on his chest and his heart was beating so fast". "I don't have words".

British Transport Police said the explosion occurred in the foyer area of Manchester Arena that has a capacity of 21,000. Jonathan Yates, 24, said on the concert floor, there was pandemonium. She said the explosions rang out as soon as Grande left the stage "almost like they waited for her to go".

City officials said the true spirit of Manchester would shine through despite the horrendous incident. Twitter and Facebook lit up with heartbreaking appeals for the missing.

Hundreds of police officers swarmed through the city in the aftermath of the blast at the performance by an American pop singer, trying to determine if the suicide bomber acted alone or was part of a larger network.

The police believe that attack was carried out by one person. "A gentleman said 'run!' so we ran". She said her phone had not stopped ringing since her tweet.

Britain is on its second-highest alert level of "severe", meaning an attack by militants is considered highly likely. The so-called Islamic State group claimed responsibility. Supporters of the extremist Islamic State group, which holds territory in Iraq's Mosul and around its de facto capital in the Syrian city of Raqqa, celebrated the blast online. We continue to do all we can to support them. British police raided two sites in the northern English city, setting off a controlled explosion in one, and arrested a 23-year-old man in a third location there.

Witnesses described hearing a "loud, loud bang" before chaos ensued.

"A huge bomb-like bang went off that hugely panicked everyone and we were all trying to flee the arena", Majid Khan, 22, said. Some were injured in the rush to get out, with people being trampled as thousands sought to escape.

A video posted on Twitter showed fans, many of them young, screaming and running from the venue.

May chaired an emergency Cobra (Cabinet Office Briefing Rooms) meeting here in the wake of the blast.

Campaigning for Britain's June 8 election was suspended.

Shortly after news broke that fans were evacuated from Manchester Arena, Grande's rep shared with E!

The tour began in Phoenix, Arizona, in February.

Police were called to the scene at the Manchester Arena concert and sports venue at 2133 GMT.

The terrorist group also released statements in several languages through its central media body praising the atrocity, claiming more than 100 "crusaders" were killed or wounded at the "shameless" concert.

  • Zachary Reyes