BTS offers condolences over Manchester terror attack via Twitter
- Author: Zachary Reyes May 23, 2017,
May 23, 2017, 18:30
Scottish Labour leader Kezia Dugdale said: "This is a barbaric and sickening attack, targeted at young and vulnerable people enjoying a night at a concert".
"You have also to understand that this is really different from the kind of attacks we've recently been experiencing in either London or even in France and Belgium and other countries where individuals carrying weapons and going into certain places attacking and fighting until the end".
Children are among those who died, Greater Manchester Police chief constable Ian Hopkins has confirmed.
Reuters news agency reported that two US officials had said initial signs pointed to a suicide bomber.
"Please let us find the girls safe and well".
The initial death toll had been put at 19.
All of the main political parties have suspended campaigning in the wake of the attack.
May earlier said that the explosion in the northern English city was being treated as a terrorist attack.
Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins made a public statement early Tuesday local time, saying "We are now treating this as a terrorist incident" and said the wounded are being treated at six hospitals across the Manchester area.
They said the blast was "being treated as a terrorist incident".
Anxious family and friends have been appealing for help to find loved ones who have not been in touch since the bombing.
A bomb disposal team is reportedly on site. Late Monday, NBC News reported authorities had a tentative ID on the bomber.
The incident happened shortly after Grande had left the stage, according to witnesses.
Other videos posted on Twitter showed fans screaming and running inside the venue.
Added Oliver Jones, 17: "The bang echoed around the foyer of the arena and people started to run". "People just dropped everything".
Service at the Manchester Victoria train station, which is located under the arena, had been canceled, officials said.
"It shocks me every time we hear this sort of news that attacks like this can happen, but especially when there will be so many children at this concert tonight", he told his United States audience. If confirmed, it would be the deadliest militant assault on Britain since four British Muslims killed 52 people in suicide bombings on London's transport system in July 2005.
The blast went off around 10:30 at the Manchester Arena - the largest of its kind in Europe.
In the wake of the atrocity, carried out by a lone male attacker, Ariana Grande fans known affectionately as "Arianators" - have created a symbol to pay tribute to those caught up in the terror attack.
BBC said senior counterterrorism officers were assembling in London and liaising with the Home Office.