Ariana Grande Breaks Her Silence Following Deadly Manchester Arena Explosion
- Author: Salvatore Jensen May 23, 2017,
May 23, 2017, 12:06
Police responded to reports of an explosion shortly after 10:35pm (21:35 GMT) at the arena, which has the capacity to hold 21,000 people, where the USA singer had been performing to an audience that included many children.
Several people have died following reports of an explosion Monday night at the concert in northern England, police said. A video posted on Twitter showed fans screaming and running out of the venue. Frantic parents called out for their children.
Grande, 23, later said on Twitter: "broken. from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don't have words".
Mark Bosnich - who also played for United - wrote: "Thoughts and prayers with those affected by the events in Manchester 2nite and the good people of Manchester".
Grande has two Melbourne shows (September 4 and 5), two Sydney shows at the ICC Theatre on September 8 and 9 (around 9000 capacity) and Brisbane Entertainment Centre on September 12 (around 14,500 capacity) before the tour is due to end in Hong Kong on September 21.
The Prime Minister has condemned the "appalling" incident and General Election campaigning has been suspended.
Sir Richard Leese, leader of Manchester City Council, said: "This is an absolutely horrifying incident and our thoughts are with everyone affected, especially those who have lost loved ones or been injured and traumatised".
May will hold a crisis response meeting on Tuesday.
Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police Ian Hopkins held a late press conference and said that they are now treating the explosion at Manchester Arena as a "terrorist incident" until they have further information.
Investigators described the lone-wolf attack as "Islamist related terrorism" but have not charged anyone in connection with the incident.
I want to thank people for their support and would ask them to remain vigilant and if they have any concerns report them in confidence to us on the anti-terrorist hotline: 0800 789321.
Twitter accounts affiliated to the jihadists have used hashtags referring to the blast to post celebratory messages, with some users encouraging similar attacks elsewhere.
Britain's terrorist threat level has been set at "severe" in recent years indicating an attack is highly likely. Police say they are treating as a terrorist attack. The man was shot dead at the scene. Local venues have opened their doors to stranded concertgoers as hospitals attempt to manage a chaotic situation.
The confusion and fear in the hours afterward was reflected on social media.
Transport police said they believed the attack had taken place just outside the Manchester Arena near a public foyer which linked to the train station.
"We ran out", Robinson told Reuters. "It was literally seconds after the explosion".
"There's glass and there's nuts - metal nuts that've been packed in the device that's exploded - because I can't think of anything else that's got nuts that'd be flying around".
Outside, she said, "you could smell the burning".