Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone confirms he is staying
- Author: Julie Sanders May 22, 2017,
May 22, 2017, 16:26
Diego Simeone has ruled himself out of the running for the Inter job by announcing his decision. And you know why I'm staying?
Quoted in Marca, he said: 'Journalists continually ask me if I am going to stay.
Chelsea are bound to be linked with a host of player in the summer and Griezmann has always been touted as a target for Premier League clubs.
Diego Simeone confirmed that he will still be Atletico Madrid manager next season after watching his side beat Athletic Bilbao at the Vicente Calderon on 21 May.
Earlier this week, Simeone said he would meet with club president Miguel Angel Gil Martin and sporting director Andrea Berta for post-season talks.
"It's up to the club and whether we can agree a deal for a few years, or from year to year, I hope to still be around for another year at least".
After the match, Simeone addressed the crowd with an emotional message while players from both past and present made their way onto the pitch and posed with every trophy the club has ever won.
"We will speak about the growth for our future".
"The tremendous stadium we enter in September will make further demands, we need to all take another step to match it".
Fernando Torres is keen to sign a new Atletico Madrid contract, with the striker's current deal due to run out at the end of the season.
Sunday's defeat could prove costly for Athletic Bilbao in the race for Europa League football, with Ernesto Valverde's men dropping to seventh place in the table and now reliant on the outcome of the Copa del Rey final between Barcelona and Alaves.
Atletico next season will move into the Wanda Metropolitano, a modern 68,000-capacity stadium on the outskirts of the Spanish capital.