Roadside bomb kills 11; Afghan policeman kills 5 colleagues
- Author: Leroy Wright May 20, 2017,
May 20, 2017, 11:31
He said the assault took place in Tagab district, adding that 10 Taliban fighters were also killed, including two commanders.
Killing at least 11 people, a suspected roadside bomb was detonated targeting a wedding convoy in eastern Afghanistan on Friday, an official said.
The bombs also increasingly kill and wound civilians.
US military convoys usually undertake missions together with Afghan security forces.
Provincial governor's spokesman Ataullah Khogyani confirmed the incident and said the policemen were killed by one of their comrades on Thursday night.
The Taliban has not yet commented on the attack, but roadside bombs have been the militants' weapon of choice in their war against foreign and Afghan security forces.
Provincial authorities blamed the Taliban, who launched their annual "spring offensive" last month, for Friday's attack.
In the first four months of 2017, some 987 child casualties were reported from conflict-related incidents - a record high for the period since the United Nations began documenting such cases.
Elsewhere in Afghanistan, another roadside bomb targeted a U.S. militarily convoy in northern Parwan province on Friday, the worldwide mission's media officer, Doug High, said. District Governor, Abdul Wahab Momand, said after the shooting, the attacker collected all the victims' firearms and fled the scene. The blast disabled an armored vehicle but caused no injuries.
No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.
Without sharing more details, a USA military spokesman told VOA "the disabled vehicle is being recovered and the convoy will continue and complete its mission".