Anthony Weiner expected to plead guilty in 'sexting' case
- Author: Salvatore Jensen May 20, 2017,
May 20, 2017, 11:55
The New York Times reports that Weiner is expected to plead guilty to one charge of transferring obscene material to a minor.
According to the Post, Weiner sobbed in the courtroom as he admitted to exchanging X-rated messages with a 15-year-old girl. As part of his plea deal, he has agreed not to appeal any sentence of 27 months or less, Reuters says.
The official spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the criminal charges had yet to be filed publicly with the court.
Weiner declined to speak to reporters as he left the courthouse.
The Democratic former congressman apologized to the 15-year-old, saying, "I have a sickness, but I do not have an excuse". She said that Weiner, then 51, carried out a monthslong sexually explicit conversation with her in which he asked her to undress and sent her semiclothed photos of himself. Weiner apologizes "for the personal mistakes I have made and the embarrassment I have caused".
At the time, Weiner said: "I have repeatedly demonstrated awful judgment about the people I have communicated with online and the things I have sent", he said.
Arlo Devlin-Brown, an attorney at Covington & Burling, said Weiner accepted "full responsibility" for his "inappropriate" actions, adding that Weiner would not further address the matter.
At the risk of understatement: This is not Weiner's first sexting scandal.
Weiner, 52, resigned from Congress in 2011 after a previous "sexting" case was revealed.
Weiner and Abedin, a longtime aide to Hillary Clinton, have been married for almost 7 years.
In court, Weiner cried as he apologized to the teenager with whom he exchanged sexually explicit texts.
The incident spilled over into the presidential race when investigators seized Weiner's laptop and found a cache of purportedly new emails that Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton sent to Abedin. Comey announced shortly before the election that the new emails contained nothing to change his view that Clinton could not be charged with a crime.
Many Democrats, including Clinton, have said the timing of the announcement that the investigation had been renewed contributed to her November loss.
Weiner also claimed at the time that he was "likely" the subject of a hoax.
Weiner ran unsuccessfully for mayor of NY in 2013 in a campaign that collapsed when Weiner, using the alias "Carlos Danger", again was found to be sending explicit photographs. Abedin, who was not present at Friday's hearing, has filed for divorce from Weiner, a source familiar with the matter told CNN Friday.