Out at Fox, Bill O'Reilly denies harassment claims
- Author: Leroy Wright Apr 24, 2017,
Apr 24, 2017, 10:25
"We've got an animal sanctuary, Jon and I milk the goats and soon, I hope, we'll be milking you".
Fox News Channel's parent company fired Bill O'Reilly on Wednesday following an investigation into harassment allegations, bringing a stunning end to cable news' most popular program and one that came to define the bravado of the Fox network over 20 years.
As of Wednesday evening, the network had already removed O'Reilly's name from the show's title.
Recently hired Fox News Channel host Tucker Carlson will replace departing longtime Fox News Channel on-air talent Bill O'Reilly in the 8 p.m. ET Monday through Friday time slot. He's a throwback. He's kind of an Archie Bunker.' And I said, 'Well if you mean he is a Neanderthal, then we're on the same page, he can never do that again.
Powers said she quit O'Reilly's show, but returned three years later.
In the uproar that followed, advertisers fled "The O'Reilly Factor" in droves, morale inside Fox news reportedly cratered, and other women came forward with even more disturbing accusations against O'Reilly. She said she was told, "You know Bill, there's nothing we can do".
The allegations against the blustery showman go back to at least 2002.
Ailes resigned a year ago following his own sexual harassment allegations. "I'm not going to sit here and publicly gloat", he said before moving the camera off him so he could celebrate off-stage.
On Tuesday, protesters gathered outside the New York City offices of Fox to demand the cable network fire O'Reilly, whose career has been dogged by scandal.
Commenting on the news, O'Reilly said, "It is tremendously disheartening that we part ways due to completely unfounded claims".
Colbert also joked that Fox News merely changed their statement about Roger Ailes to fit the latest firing.
Perino concluded, "We wish him the very best".
"Bill has been the undisputed king of cable news, and for good reason".
The sexual harassment cases against O'Reilly came to light after The New York Times, on April 1, reported that either 21st Century or the anchor himself had handed up to $13 million as payouts to five women, asking them to not press sexual harassment charges against him or speak about their claims against him. "But that is the unfortunate reality many of us in the public eye must live with today", said the O'Reilly Factor host.