Mbappe helps fire Monaco to Champions League semis
- Author: Julie Sanders Apr 24, 2017,
Apr 24, 2017, 11:11
As Monaco strolled into the semi-finals of the Champions League on Wednesday night, reaching the last four of the competition for the first time since 2004 thanks to one of their more complete performances of the season.
And their cause was not helped by two Monaco goals inside 17 minutes, Kylian Mbappe - who scored twice at Signal Iduna Park - pouncing on Roman Burki's poor parry and Radamel Falcao heading in a second.
"We weren't 100 percent ready from the first second, perhaps we were too intent on scoring", said Dortmund goalkeeper Burki after Wednesday's defeat with the Germans failing to overturn their 3-2 first-leg defeat.
The semifinal draw on Friday will include Monaco, Juventus, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid.
Last Tuesday in Germany, three explosions went off as the team headed to the stadium for the home leg against Monaco, leaving defender Marc Bartra needing hospital treatment following injuries to his wrist and arm after a window was shattered. The German team's bus was held without moving for around 20 minutes. "The police was there to escort us and we asked them why we couldn't move and they just said 'for safety reasons.' You can imagine that eight days after the attack that (this is) the worst thing that can happen".
Borussia Dortmund manager Thomas Tuchel: "We've got this out of our system now and we're more stable emotionally".
With Dortmund's ouster, it marks the first time since 2008-2009 that no German team has reached the semifinals and the first time since 2002-2003 that no German or English team has reached the final four. Though these sides are renowned for scoring plenty of goals - and conceding nearly as many - it's a lead that should prove sufficient to see Leonardo Jardim's side into the final four. "We knew that they give a lot of space and we took advantage from it".
"We have won nothing, but we have made history", declared Portuguese coach Jardim after the game, as his side extended a run that began in the third qualifying round against Fenerbahce last July, nine months ago.
"[Mbappe] has a contract with Monaco and he is going to be here for another year", Giuly, now an executive at the club, said.
Dortmund lost 3-2, with Tuchel saying the players had been "completely ignored" over its rescheduling.