Officials reveal contents of note carried by Paris gunman
- Author: Leroy Wright Apr 22, 2017,
Apr 22, 2017, 23:30
The attack comes three days before the first round of France's tense presidential election. According to Channel 2 News' Europe correspondent, the terror attack will impact the upcoming French presidential election.
The prime minister said the government has reviewed its already extensive election security measures and says it is "fully mobilized" for Sunday's vote.
Police forces take positions on the Champs Elysees avenue in Paris, France, after a fatal shooting in which a police officer was killed along with an attacker, Thursday, April 20, 2017.
After killing the officer and injuring his colleagues just a few hundred meters from the Arc de Triomphe, the gunman was shot dead in return fire while trying to flee on foot, police sources told AFP. Its president, Mickael Bucheron, said Jugele would have celebrated his 38th birthday at the beginning of May.
Police found a note defending Islamic State near his body and believe he had "opened fire on the officers in the knowledge he would be killed by them", a source close to the investigation told Reuters.
Both officers returned to the concert venue a year later when it reopened with a concert by Sting.
"He was not on the security watch list and had shown no signs of radicalization despite his many years in prison", Molins said.
A second police officer was shot and injured and the assailant was killed in the incident today. Cheurfi's identity was confirmed from his fingerprints.
The attack dramatically changed the course of the French presidential campaign's final hours.
French authorities say a man who killed a police officer in Paris's Champs-Elysees last night had served time for previous armed assaults on law enforcement.
The French president will be chosen in a runoff of the top two candidates on May 7.
Center-right candidate François Fillon, Le Pen and independent centrist Emmanuel Macron canceled planned campaign events after the shooting.
In a statement today, Le Pen blamed "radical Islam" - which she called "a monstrous, totalitarian ideology that has declared war on our nation, on reason, on civilisation" - for the attack.
He said: "She seems to be deliberately forgetting everything that has been done over five years to make people forget that she opposed everything, without ever proposing anything serious or credible".
Fillon, for his part, pledged to maintain the state of emergency that has been in place since the November 2015 attacks. "The fight against terrorism must be the absolute priority of the next French president". "Do not give in to fear, do not give in to division, do not give in to intimidation", Macron said.
Cheurfi had four criminal convictions, the prosecutor said.
"We can only say that the author is French". Macron said her plans were "nonsense" and that he'd improve intelligence with a centralised antiterror force.
A police arrest warrant issued earlier on Thursday, which was seen by Reuters after the attack, warned of a unsafe individual who had come into France by train from Belgium on Thursday.
"The sense of duty of our policemen tonight averted a massacre ... they prevented a bloodbath on the Champs Elysees", Interior Minister Matthias Fekl told reporters.
Three people from the suspect's family have been taken into custody for questioning, he added.