US tells North Korea: We don't want a fight, don't start one
- Author: Leroy Wright Apr 20, 2017,
Apr 20, 2017, 0:29
Diplomats said the USA -drafted statement would strongly condemn the launch and express the council's "utmost concern" at North Korea's "highly destabilizing behavior and flagrant and provocative defiance" of council resolutions. But they said Russian Federation objected because a sentence in the draft expressing the council's commitment "to a peaceful, diplomatic and political solution to the situation" dropped the words "through dialogue" that had been in previous statements.
Last month, the council was united in strongly condemning the launch of three missiles and expressed serious concern over Pyongyang's "increasingly destabilizing behavior".
North Korea recently unveiled footage of a simulated nuclear strike on a US city to celebrate a major national holiday.
Diplomats who spoke on condition of anonymity appeared surprised that Russian Federation would block condemnation that China, Pyongyang's ally, had been willing to support.
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson will chair a Security Council meeting on North Korea's nuclear program April 28.
CNN also quoted the unidentified official as saying that the review of military options is essentially "due diligence" and top military and civilian Pentagon officials are "thinking through every course of action", including updating analysis on how North Korea might militarily react if the USA were to take military steps. "We have reached the final stage of preparations to test-launch an intercontinental ballistic missile", Kim said, adding that, "Research and development of cutting edge arms equipment is actively progressing". The ball is in their court. "They shouldn't try to play it at this point".
On Monday, US Vice President Mike Pence-visiting the world's most heavily militarized border that divides the two Koreas-hinted that military options against the North have not been ruled out.
"North Korea is the most unsafe and urgent threat to peace and security in the Asia-Pacific", Pence said on the deck of an American aircraft carried docked in Japan.
"We will defeat any attack and meet any use of conventional or nuclear weapons with an overwhelming and effective American response".
U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres told reporters the United Nations fully backs efforts of all states trying to ensure "that North Korea doesn't acquire the capacities that would become a threat, not only for the region but in a wider area of the world".
She told reporters yesterday that North Korea needs to realize that it should not give a reason to the United States for a fight and U.S. also not wants a reason to fight with North Korea.