Suspect in Cleveland Facebook video killing shoots himself to death

The video on Stephens' Facebook page showed a gun being pointed at an unidentified man's head.

Stephens was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

According to Cleveland police, Godwin's killing appears to have been at random.

A makeshift memorial sits along a fence Monday, April 17, 2017, near where Robert Godwin Sr., was killed in Cleveland. Local, state and federal authorities were involved in the hunt for Stephens, who was said to be driving a white Ford Fusion with a temporary tag.

(AP Photo/James H. Collins, File). A Facebook video of an OH man shooting a 74-year-old retiree in Cleveland was up for three hour. Stephens also went live on Facebook to confess to the murder.

A murder suspect who police said posted a video of himself on Facebook shooting an elderly man in Cleveland remained on the loose on Tuesday as authorities appealed to the public for help in the case.

The auto Stephens was thought to be driving, a white Ford Fusion, did not contain Global Positioning System tracking devices, authorities said. Shortly afterward, he took his own life. However, Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams announced Sunday that Godwin was the only confirmed death thus far.

Stephens was at the center of a nationwide manhunt after police say he killed 74-year-old Robert Godwin Sr. on Easter Sunday at 695 East 93rd Street in Cleveland.

"I don't want that man to die, I want him brought to justice", one of his sons, Robby Miller, said.

The Associated Press reported that Stephens' life "appeared to be unraveling under the weight of gambling debts and trouble with his girlfriend".

In the video of the shooting, Stephens told Godwin the name of his girlfriend and said, "She's the reason that this is about to happen to you".

In a statement, the spokesperson said the shooting was a "horrific crime".

Stephens also claimed he had killed more people, but Cleveland Police say they have no known additional victims linked to him.

The chase lasted 2 miles, and troopers managed to disable Stephens' vehicle, state police said.

Following a short pursuit of about a mile or so, police executed the pit maneuver - striking a auto on one of its fenders to make it spin - on Buffalo Road by an abandoned school and an officer saw Stephens pull out a pistol and shoot himself.

Stephens' vehicle sustained minor damage after a trooper couldn't stop in time and hit the auto, but no injuries to law enforcement were reported.

Law enforcement officials had said on Monday that Stephens' cellphone was last tracked Sunday afternoon near Erie, about 100 miles (160 kilometers) east of Cleveland.

"The hashtags Joy Lane, Joy Lane massacre, I don't even know who Joy Lane is anymore, or how to pick up all the pieces of my world at this moment", Lane said.

The company said it disabled Stephen's account within 23 minutes of receiving the first report about the video of the fatal shooting and two hours after receiving any report. Godwin did not seem to recognize the name.

  • Larry Hoffman