Prince's home strewn with painkillers
- Author: Carolyn Briggs Apr 19, 2017,
Apr 19, 2017, 18:39
Investigators later found that the pills contained fentanyl, according to published reports, but they have not given any indication as to whether those pills are tied to Prince's death.
An autopsy later determined the singer died from an overdose of fentanyl - a strong painkiller that is 50 times more powerful than morphine or heroin.
Schulenberg told detectives he put that prescription in Johnson's name for Prince's privacy. Dr. Schulenberg has previously disclosed all information regarding his care and treatment of Prince to his former employer, law enforcement authorities and regulatory authorities in the course of his complete cooperation with the investigation of Prince's death. However, the documents do not offer evidence about the source of the fentanyl that killed Prince on April 21 a year ago.
Some of the pills, located in a suitcase, were prescribed to Prince's long-time friend and former drummer Kirk Johnson.
Many were shocked to hear that the legendary entertainer had an addiction to painkillers and now newly unsealed courts documents are painting an even more frightful picture about Prince's dependency on his medication. According to the court papers, he said it "was the first time he had ever done something like that for Prince".
Opioid painkillers were found in the late pop star Prince's home after his sudden death a year ago, unsealed court documents have revealed. Witnesses, however, told authorities that Prince had recently been going through withdrawals from pain medication.
Johnson is a close confidante and aide who started working for Prince in the '80s.
The documents said Prince did not have any prescriptions, including for fentanyl. "After reviewing the search warrants and affidavits released today, we believe that it is clear that Kirk Johnson did not secure nor supply the drugs which caused Prince's death", he said in a statement to PEOPLE.
"They would be indicting every pharmacist in Beverly Hills if this were strictly enforced", Garofalo said Monday. The investigation into Prince's death is ongoing. The 57-year-old songster kept at his complex the polls labelled "Watson 853" - the opioid painkiller acetaminophen-hydrocodone. Last August, an official with knowledge of the investigation told The Associated Press that at least one of those pills tested positive for fentanyl, meaning the pill was counterfeit and obtained illegally.
In addition to the dozens of pills recovered, authorities also found a pamphlet for an addiction recovery center in California, the documents unsealed Monday show. The day before Prince died, Paisley Park staffers contacted the California addiction specialist as they were trying to get Prince help. The search warrants don't reveal the outcome of the email searches.
Investigators also found a suitcase with the name Peter Bravestrong - a possible alias for Prince.