Prince left behind a treasure trove to see at Paisley Park
- Author: Salvatore Jensen Apr 19, 2017,
Apr 19, 2017, 11:44
Almost a year after Prince died from an accidental drug overdose in his suburban Minneapolis studio and estate, investigators still don't know how he got the fentanyl that killed him. According to the Carver County Sheriff's Office, the investigation into Prince's death remains "open and active".
"His most recent contact before Dr. Schulenberg was various doctors his managers would set up for him before a show so that Prince could received a "B12 (vitamin) injection" to "feel better" before performing for a show", according to the unsealed records.
Dr. Michael Schulenberg admitted to cops that he prescribed Oxycodone for Prince the same day he overdosed on a jet on the way home from Atlanta (April 14, 2016), forcing an emergency landing and a shot of the reversing agent naloxone to counteract the effects of the drug. Some were in prescription bottles for Kirk Johnson, Prince's longtime friend and associate.
Alongside these, quantities of other prescription pills were found in the artist's home.
The documents also show that some of the prescriptions where issued in the name of a close friend.
The police are still investigating who supplied Prince with drugs, and in addition to questioning Dr. Schulenberg, they are also searching his emails to see if he had ordered prescriptions online.
According to a search warrant application submitted in September of a year ago, the Minnesota physician admitted to a Carver County Sheriff's detective "that he had prescribed Prince a prescription for oxycodone the same day as the emergency plane landing but put the prescription in Kirk Johnson's name for Prince's privacy".
According to a search warrant, Schulenberg told investigators he saw Prince on April 7 and April 20, and prescribed medications for Prince to be picked up at a Walgreens pharmacy.
"Andrew said he heard a scream and ran down the hall and observed Prince lying on his left side in the elevator", states one of the newly unsealed court records, which said that Prince lived at the Paisley Park estate alone and without a security guard.
At the time of his death, people at the home of Prince indicated to investigators that he had been suffering from withdrawals from prescription medications to which he had become addicted. However, since his death, no one has been charged over the death of Prince, BBC reported.
Singer Judith Hill, who was in a romantic relationship with Prince, was also interviewed.
This drug helps to diminish pain from rheumatoid arthritis and coughs, and it wasn't the only one drug found at the singer's place. And, experts say, prosecutors and investigators don't want to lose a high-profile case such as Prince's - likely increasing their caution.
The official said the case has taken investigators to IL and California, as authorities have interviewed friends, family and any potential witnesses, including the flight crew and hospital staff that were present when Prince overdosed on a plane.
Most fatal opioid overdoses that are investigated never lead to criminal charges, said Kerry Harvey, a former US attorney for eastern Kentucky who made prosecuting such cases a high priority.