Blast in Syria's Aleppo kills 6

The buses were evacuating residents of Kefraya and al-Foua villages under a deal reached between the Damascus government and foreign-sponsored Takfiri militant groups last month.

A bomb killed six people and wounded more than 30 in Syria's second city Aleppo on Wednesday, state television reported.

State media said around 500 rebels and their families departed al-Zabadani and nearby areas for rebel-held territory in northwest Syria.

He added that the United Nations has still not been able to determine who was behind the Saturday attack that killed over 100 people and injured many more, in which a bomber blew up an explosive-laden vehicle.

On Saturday, a suicide attacker detonated a vehicle bomb in the Rashidin neighborhood of Aleppo near a convoy of buses, which were carrying civilians evacuated from the Syrian Shiite towns of Fua and Kefraya, claiming lives of at least 70 people and injuring over 100 as a result. The evacuees included about 700 armed militants. Another 11 buses carrying some 500 people, including opposition fighters, left Madaya and Zabadani, near Damascus, heading toward the northern rebel-held Idlib province.

Syrian state TV says the military is destroying a tunnel network that linked rebel-controlled towns which are being evacuated as part of a population transfer.

Yassin lost her brother who had been in the convoy with her and "hadn't heard anything about him in days", she said at a hospital in Aleppo.

"There is shrapnel in his eyes because he was sitting at the window of the bus when the explosion happened", said al-Hussein, who had also received emergency aid in the opposition area near the Turkish border. "We couldn't believe it".

  • Leroy Wright