UEFA criticised over Dortmund match decision

Germany's Borussia Dortmund football team has played their postponed Champions League game against Monaco, amid heightened security.

He was the only player to receive serious injuries in the blast, which happened on Tuesday night as the team travelled to the Westfalenstadion for the first leg of their Champions League quarterfinal against Monaco.

German investigators Wednesday detained an Islamist suspect over three explosions that rocked Borussia Dortmund's team bus, prosecutors said, confirming that the probe was examining a possible "terrorist link".

Tuesday's explosives detonated minutes after the Dortmund team bus pulled away from the squad's hotel.

UEFA says the rescheduling was decided at a meeting with both clubs and local authorities.

"We were informed by text message that Uefa was making this decision".

Dortmund's current coach, Thomas Tuchel, said his team had felt ignored by UEFA over the decision to reschedule the match so quickly, though the European governing body responded that neither team had objected to playing the game.

"It gave us a powerless feeling, like we had a job to do and nothing else mattered".

Despite the congested calendar in the final months of the season, Dortmund believed the game could have been shifted to a later date.

The hosts remained unimpressed and reduced the arrears again as Kagawa utilized Matthias Ginter's cross to make it 3-2, giving his side hope for the second leg in Monaco. To see the stands filled with people who love this sport, good people who only want us to feel the emotion of football to forget about the world, especially the world we live in which is crazier than ever.

"Of course we have to keep it going, but we still want to be competitive". "We heard there was an explosion, then more news".

"It is destabilising but we are professionals, we must get accustomed to everything, even in the most extreme conditions".

"But one shouldn't forget that we are human beings". We love football. We suffer with football.

"In France, we know this", said Monaco supporter Pierre Calmon, 50, from Toulouse, who was attending the match with his son, 16-year-old Thomas.

"When I was on the bus last night, I can't forget the faces, I will never forget those faces".

The Dortmund players were back in training on Wednesday morning to prepare for the evening's fixture.

"It will take time to deal with it in a proper way because I'm pretty sure if somebody who made the decision afterwards had been in the bus they wouldn't have played the game. We made the best of it". "We all felt at the start of the match that this wasn't a normal game for us".

  • Julie Sanders